Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 12.0.3 Is An Emergency Release For Intel Users

Phoronix: Mesa 12.0.3 Is An Emergency Release For Intel Users

Emil Velikov announced the "emergency release" this morning of Mesa 12.0.3 as the latest stable installment for the Mesa 12.0 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They really should update and complete their regession tests https://people.freedesktop.org/~nh/piglit/
    And this page mentions most tests are done only with
    • R300ND: Radeon 9700 Pro; 128MB VRAM
    • R420JI: Radeon X800 Pro by ASUS; 256MB VRAM
    • R500: Radeon X1650 Pro; 512MB VRAM

as tested gpus - this canĀ“t be for real. Is there a site about mesa regession testing that is more up to date?

Also this https://people.freedesktop.org/~nh/p...all/index.html
    it lists only amdgpus and only up to rs690
    where are intel nvidia and radeonSI gpus piglit-status?
    cheers, t
    Last edited by tomtomme; 15 September 2016, 08:04 AM.

Comment

He, he, when piglit release some version other then v1 8 years ago, maybe we can expect something meangful for users like that too

Comment

Piglit hasn't seen a release in a very long time because it is used as a continuously improved suite of tests for a collection of graphics cards and go implementations. It's main audience is driver developers who want the latest git code anyway, and so no one has bothered to do regular releases.

I can assure you that it is still actively maintained and that it works with many/all of the latest and greatest cards.

I currently use piglit for both bisecting OpenGL regressions and for developing the OpenCL runtime on my Radeon 7850 (in my spare time), and I run it on my work laptop (haswell) occasionally for other reasons.

ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹If the bug that caused these regressions didn't have a piglit test before, you can bet there probably will be one soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          Piglit hasn't seen a release in a very long time because it is used as a continuously improved suite of tests for a collection of graphics cards and go implementations. It's main audience is driver developers who want the latest git code anyway, and so no one has bothered to do regular releases.

I can assure you that it is still actively maintained and that it works with many/all of the latest and greatest cards.

I currently use piglit for both bisecting OpenGL regressions and for developing the OpenCL runtime on my Radeon 7850 (in my spare time), and I run it on my work laptop (haswell) occasionally for other reasons.

ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹If the bug that caused these regressions didn't have a piglit test before, you can bet there probably will be one soon.
          sounds good at first but also a bit random.
          is there a test farm somewhere with all the GPUs from the last decade at intel and AMD with different distros and cpus etc.?
          You write "many/all of the latest and greatest cards". That does not fortify my trust.
          If only the cards get tested that the devs have in their workstations, then it is no wonder mesa is regressing so often....

Comment

Regressions - typical Linux bad code excuse.. Few hours ago i upgrade my Intel Android x86 to 6 R1 with Mesa 12.0.2 and its worse than before..

Comment

Intel have a CI server farm for their supported hardware that runs regression tests, pretty sure that includes piglit.
              Refer the talk by Mark Janes from Intel at XDC 2015.

I recall there being some discussion of providing limited access to this for known, established external Mesa driver developers.

Eric Anholt recently addressed the bit rot in running Mesa's smaller set of in-tree regression tests via Travis-CI, say for developers who have a forked repository on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                Regressions - typical Linux bad code excuse.. Few hours ago i upgrade my Intel Android x86 to 6 R1 with Mesa 12.0.2 and its worse than before..
                maybe this is why mesa launch this for intel

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

sounds good at first but also a bit random.
                  is there a test farm somewhere with all the GPUs from the last decade at intel and AMD with different distros and cpus etc.?
                  You write "many/all of the latest and greatest cards". That does not fortify my trust.
                  If only the cards get tested that the devs have in their workstations, then it is no wonder mesa is regressing so often....
                  Intel has their own system, but it's private and not accessible to you and me. I don't know if AMD has something similar or not - i think not, though.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

maybe this is why mesa launch this for intel
                    Its in Android x86 package which are all devices and i have intel graphics.

Comment

Working...
                    X