Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical & Nextcloud Roll Out An Ubuntu-Powered Nextcloud 10 Box

Phoronix: Canonical & Nextcloud Roll Out An Ubuntu-Powered Nextcloud 10 Box

The embargo expired this morning on the Nextcloud Box, a device from the cooperation of Canonical, Nextcloud, and WDLabs for making it easy to deploy your own Ubuntu-powered personal cloud...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, you do realize that this is powered by a raspberry pi right? And all the data is delivered over usb? Who cares if it doesn't support raid for the high end users...... this isn't a product for them in the first place.....

Comment

However utilizing gigabit speeds would benefit every consumer. But since PI does not support gigabit ethernet...

Comment

The next iteration powered by raspberry pi 4 should be great!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          It's a nice cheap box if you want to build your own small personal Linux cloud for file storage
          I don't know, if it is that cheap.
          80$ for a case and a vendor specific hdd adapter and 1tb hdd.
          You'll also need a raspi 2, raspi 3 is not supported yet.
          For this sum you could go for a 1-bay NAS instead.

Idea is not so bad but I don't know if the raspberry is the right choice here.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            Michael, you do realize that this is powered by a raspberry pi right? And all the data is delivered over usb? Who cares if it doesn't support raid for the high end users...... this isn't a product for them in the first place.....
            Source? Last time I checked, the Raspberry Pi 3 is the newest model, and doesn't support USB 3.0 or gigabit Ethernet.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Raspberry has an excellent support and a huge community full of helping hands. If you ever need to turn on/off GPIO lines in that NAS box, someone can probably create a nice 1-2 GB Snappy image for the task. There's a completely free bootloader and a really powerful GPU. Raspberry foundation is non-profit so all the money from 10M sold Pis is used fully on free driver development. If you're really desperate, you can buy a USB3 ethernet dongle and get a 3x network speed boost over the basic 100M ethernet. In addition, RPi can cache files to RAM with lz4 so you get plenty of burst speed even with USB2. I can't think of any single board computer that's better suited for the task or faster or cheaper. Well maybe a cluster of RPi zeros.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Source? Last time I checked, the Raspberry Pi 3 is the newest model, and doesn't support USB 3.0 or gigabit Ethernet.
                Read the source hyperlinked article linked at the bottom of Phoronix's article. When did I claim it supported usb 3?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Raspberry has an excellent support and a huge community full of helping hands. If you ever need to turn on/off GPIO lines in that NAS box, someone can probably create a nice 1-2 GB Snappy image for the task. There's a completely free bootloader and a really powerful GPU. Raspberry foundation is non-profit so all the money from 10M sold Pis is used fully on free driver development. If you're really desperate, you can buy a USB3 ethernet dongle and get a 3x network speed boost over the basic 100M ethernet. In addition, RPi can cache files to RAM with lz4 so you get plenty of burst speed even with USB2. I can't think of any single board computer that's better suited for the task or faster or cheaper. Well maybe a cluster of RPi zeros.
                  Don't get me wrong. The RPi is fantastic! I power my arcade machine with a RPi2, and my wifi monospeaker with a RPi1. BUT, usb 2.0 would suck for raid, or any high throughput data usage. The RPi is just not made for that use case.

Comment

It's not the same thing, but every time OwnCloud or NextCloud comes up I feel compelled to recommend the equally open source Sandstorm project. You can host your own - which I do - or use their paid hosting service at sandstorm.io

I know this post makes me seem like a shill for the company, but other than running the software and being on the mailing list I have no affiliation and no sponsorship. Sandstorm integrates other free software web apps, so inside it you can run a few different free git hosting applications, shared document editing with Etherpad and Ethercalc, image hosting, file hosting and share, Rocket.chat (an open source Slack clone), Wordpress, Mediawiki, etc...

They have RoundCube the email web client too, but you need a third party for the actual email service.

Comment

Working...
                    X