Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linaro Still Working On TEE For The Linux Kernel, The Trusted Execution Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linaro Still Working On TEE For The Linux Kernel, The Trusted Execution Environment

Phoronix: Linaro Still Working On TEE For The Linux Kernel, The Trusted Execution Environment

Besides the Greybus subsystem being right around the corner for the mainline Linux kernel, it might not be too much longer before the TEE subsystem is ready. TEE is now up to its 12th patch revision and is about trusted computing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Trusted" here means that the execution environment is trusted by RIAA, MPAA, Netflix, YouTube, etc.
    It means that it is trusted that it has not been tampered with by you.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      "Trusted" here means that the execution environment is trusted by RIAA, MPAA, Netflix, YouTube, etc.
      Or even more pointedly: TEE can not be trusted by you!

Comment

That reminds me. I need to identify the best AMD processor that still lacks a Platform Security Processor core and adjust my budget to make room for it before they become too difficult to get.

(Not difficult. Just e-mail AMD and claim that you need the information in order to meet your business's auditability requirements.)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Which is fine and fair. You should boycott them by not watching their stuff, not trying to tamper things once you agreed to have your freedoms taken from you (which makes you a dirty liar and also a thief depending on situation).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Which is fine and fair. You should boycott them by not watching their stuff, not trying to tamper things once you agreed to have your freedoms taken from you (which makes you a dirty liar and also a thief depending on situation).
            The more they stuff the "dont steal me" crap into their data, the less motivation I have to actually play by their rules. Xbmc+exodus.

Comment

Which FWIW, they created themselves. The harder you make it to consume data "legitimately", the more demand there will be via other means. So imagine, for instance, if you had a service like netflix, that was NOT so severely limited in what content it carries (i.e., it is really only a small subset of media that it carries, a lot of it is added very late compared to "air date", and most doesn't even get there at all), and allowed OFFLINE VIEWING, in NON-ENCRYPTED format that could actually be used, then I'd probably be happy giving them $10/month and let them distribute some portion of that based on the content that I actually download... everybody is happy.

But to get *everything* would require subscribing to a hundred different streaming services, each for $10+/month, and now we are looking at the equivalent of a big mortgage, even though I'm only interested in a SUBSET that is fairly evenly distributed over all of the different providers. And then the inconvenience of dealing with the encryption, and this really isn't doable at all.

The content producers ARE making it impossible to consume, and ARE CREATING the situation that gave rise to things like exodus.

Comment

"Trust" is an interesting concept. A computer can be trusted by one party, or by nobody at all. You can trust your computer, the RIAA can trust your computer, but never both at the same time. Since I need to trust my encrypted box not to spill my raw video clips to police, I cannot also install the kind of encryption Hollywood has to be able to trust, as that would create a box neither I nor they could trust. Such a box would have to be presumed to give the N Dakota cops everything I have on the Dakota Access pipeline while simultaniously torrenting every music and movie file sent by Hollywood.

I choose not to consume ANY paid media at all, with or without DRM. When the RIAA first sued someone for filesharing, tens of millions of people (myself included) stopped buying music or movies with or without the ability to consume them by other means. I even stopped going to the movie theater over this.

Since I produce news video distributed without intention of monetization, to me the paid news services are competitors who sheer weight is a threat to my ability to get my work seen. If every paid news producer went bankrupt tomorrow because of filesharing, I would be a direct beneficiary. So would the causes I represent, such as that pipeline fight the big news media say almost nothing about while spamming everyone with celebrity bullshit

Comment

Working...
                X