Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.19 Is Ready To Freeze, Almost 600 Changes

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.19 Is Ready To Freeze, Almost 600 Changes

The release candidate for X.Org Server 1.19 should be cut today and that will imply the feature freeze for this latest major update to the long-standing X Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know if Fedora 25 is going to include it?

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
      I can't to say for certain, but it's very unlikely (at least at initial release). The article states that it should be released "before the end of October.", and the final feature freeze for F25 is (currently) 1st November, which would be very close.

The update policy also suggests that maintainers should avoid major version updates between the beta freeze and final freeze, and as X.Org will be considered a critical path package I doubt they'd want to risk updating it during this time.

Comment

Is it me or does it seem that since Wayland became a thing X came off life support and started to put some fire back into the furnace and get going again?

I guess competition really is good in FOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          Is it me or does it seem that since Wayland became a thing X came off life support and started to put some fire back into the furnace and get going again?

It's not really competition... It's the same developers working on both. As it's been mentioned here in these forums several times, X is still needed for XWayland (running X apps on Wayland), and it will be needed for a long, long time.

Comment

Originally posted by alexhaydock View Post

I can't to say for certain, but it's very unlikely (at least at initial release). The article states that it should be released "before the end of October.", and the final feature freeze for F25 is (currently) 1st November, which would be very close.

The update policy also suggests that maintainers should avoid major version updates between the beta freeze and final freeze, and as X.Org will be considered a critical path package I doubt they'd want to risk updating it during this time.
            I still hope and think they will include it in the final version of Fedora 25.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Yay! They finally fixed the gamma controls broken on all SDL/Quake based games bug! No more
              Code:
              xrandr --output LVDS --gamma 0.5:0.5:0.5 --brightness 1.5
              whenever I wanted to play a quake/SDL based game.

As a new Arch user coming from Ubuntu, I'm glad I made the switch. How long do we typically have to wait for this update to come our way?

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
                yeah it'll make it in to F25 , they'll ( being Fesco ) will make it an Exception as they'll want it in to Test it so it makes it way into RHEL8

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

I think it's fair to say DRI3 wouldn't exist without Wayland.

I doubt it made much of a difference for the rest, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

yeah it'll make it in to F25 , they'll ( being Fesco ) will make it an Exception as they'll want it in to Test it so it makes it way into RHEL8
                    I'm pretty sure F25 is precisely why they suddenly decided to make a release now and freeze so quickly. I think it was one of the Red Hat guys who asked for it to happen.

Comment

Working...
                    X