Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git Developers Want Your Feedback (2016 Git Survey)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git Developers Want Your Feedback (2016 Git Survey)

Phoronix: Git Developers Want Your Feedback (2016 Git Survey)

The Git development community has launched a survey seeking feedback from users of this leading, open-source revision control system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's too long! I almost didn't finish. 50 questions is a lot, especially for casual users.

On the other hand, if you were looking for a way to complain about a given aspect of Git, there's almost certainly at least one question covering your area of concern.

BTW, there were actually some good references in there (i.e. tools & docs I didn't know about). I might save a copy of the survey page, just for that.
    Last edited by coder; 18 September 2016, 08:44 PM.

Comment

inb4 Lennart pops in with the usual spiel: "Git is fundamentally broken. Let's make it more like TFS!"

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        On the other hand, if you were looking for a way to complain about a given aspect of Git, there's almost certainly at least one question covering your area of concern.

BTW, there were actually some good references in there (i.e. tools & docs I didn't know about). I might save a copy of the survey page, just for that.
        Ditto on both points. Hell, just the "do you use...?" checkboxes for a lot of Git features could be described as "Why isn't the documentation that clear about what's possible and what keywords to use to start learning about it?"

Comment

It's too long! I almost didn't finish. 50 questions is a lot, especially for casual users.

I gave up mid way.

Honestly, anyone not too old to learn new trick will find git to be the best SCM out there. It's only habits, and bad one at that, that keep people using CVS and SVN. Well, there's also the Open\FreeBSD CVS licensing thing... So I guess a full featured BSD licensed Git implementation would hurt. But really, git is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

I gave up mid way.

Honestly, anyone not too old to learn new trick will find git to be the best SCM out there. It's only habits, and bad one at that, that keep people using CVS and SVN. Well, there's also the Open\FreeBSD CVS licensing thing... So I guess a full featured BSD licensed Git implementation would hurt. But really, git is perfect.
            Habit yes. And an installed base. Migrating any established project from one SCM to another is not trivial. SCMs are used pretty much continuously; don't fix what ain't broke.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

Habit yes. And an installed base. Migrating any established project from one SCM to another is not trivial. SCMs are used pretty much continuously; don't fix what ain't broke.
              Well that's the point. Many would argue centralized version control systems are fundamentally broken.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                inb4 Lennart pops in with the usual spiel: "Git is fundamentally broken. Let's make it more like TFS!"
                You're thinking of the anti-systemd crowd.

"Everything is fundamentally too easy and *nix like. Let's break it by going full Windows on the stack, removing everything that would make it inherently usable.
                Why have one tool when you can have a collection of vastly esoteric shell scripts to do the same thing in a non-predictable, hard to debug way? I want my Powershell way of doing things!"

Comment

Not to forget about the classic "Why have OpenSSH installed by default when you can just download Putty or any other number of obscure tools?"

Comment

Well, if it's not excessively verbose, it's not git

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

I gave up mid way.

Honestly, anyone not too old to learn new trick will find git to be the best SCM out there. It's only habits, and bad one at that, that keep people using CVS and SVN.
                    It's still puzzling me: svn doesn't even know what a branch is and cvs is worse. And yet, I still have to argue in favour of git...

Comment

Working...
                    X