More Intel DRM Changes For Linux 4.9, Including DMA-BUF Implicit Fencing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Intel DRM Changes For Linux 4.9, Including DMA-BUF Implicit Fencing

Phoronix: More Intel DRM Changes For Linux 4.9, Including DMA-BUF Implicit Fencing

For Linux 4.9 we already saw some Intel DRM changes in early August, a second batch of feature changes in late August for DRM-Next, and out this morning is another batch of i915 DRM driver changes being queued for the upcoming Linux 4.9 kernel merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and full DMA-BUF implicit fencing support
    That's the one for prime without tearing, right?

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
      That's the one for prime without tearing, right?
      https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=95472
      I would be so happy if that was it!

Comment

Could someone tell me why there is so much refactoring in almost every Mesa release ? When I write an app, and have to refactor code afterwards, it means that I didn't design the code too good in the first place -- what is going on here, as I am guessing that these guys really try to plan it out and make some sane design decisions in advance, so what is the problem ?

Comment

*Mesa AND DRM

Comment

Originally posted by nocri View Post
            Could someone tell me why there is so much refactoring in almost every Mesa release ? When I write an app, and have to refactor code afterwards, it means that I didn't design the code too good in the first place -- what is going on here, as I am guessing that these guys really try to plan it out and make some sane design decisions in advance, so what is the problem ?
            3 stages of software development

Make it work
            Make it right
            Make it fast

Comment

Originally posted by nocri View Post
              Because drm/i915 has been around for a *long* time, and has a lot of code to support a lot of generations of hardware.. eventually new features and new hw gens make original design insufficient in ways that could not have been predicted.

The comparison to an app isn't really valid.. If intel stopped coming out with new hw, then ofc changes in the driver would settle down ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X