Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt's Comprehensive Display/Graphics Options

Phoronix: Qt's Comprehensive Display/Graphics Options

Qt developer Laszlo Agocs has written a thorough walkthrough for the official Qt blog about the different Qt graphics options with multiple displays on embedded Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia you will lose your Linux market share if you keep being such a dickhead towards the community.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

How does GBM compare to EGLStream?

Is EGLStream just NIH?
      Or does EGLStream offer any compelling advantages over GBM?
      What about disadvantages to EGLStream?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Is EGLStream just NIH?
        That's the million dollar question no one seems to want to answer.

Comment

>How does GBM compare to EGLStream?

As far as I understand, GBM is a MESA specific version of EGL.

>Is EGLStream just NIH?

From what I read, EGLStream is a Khronos standard, and has existed for awhile now.

>Or does EGLStream offer any compelling advantages over GBM?

I think they do the same thing, but Nvidia is using the Khronos standard, so their Windows/Mac/Linux/BSD drivers share code, while if they used GBM, it would set their Linus driver separate from their other driver efforts. (Think less features, months behind, you know...... the nightmare that used to be AMD drives.)

>What about disadvantages to EGLStream?

Not following the path the linux community seems to be trying to force on the driver makers.

Comment

Also, nice to see that KDE rolled up their sleeves to support EGLStreams instead of acting like a big baby like Gnome. I think Mir supports EGLStream (or work in progress?) already as well. Anyone know if any other Wayland compositors support it yet, or will?

Comment

Is EGLStream just NIH?
              Theoretically EGLStream would work on multiple platforms (including Windows), thus allowing NVIDIA to be cheap on resources (by wrapping the Windows driver the way they already do on xorg).

Comment

Is EGLStream just NIH?
                I'd like to know how they compare too. At present, all I've heard about them is:

1. EGLStreams allows nVidia to share more code between the Windows and Linux driver

2. nVidia announced it in 2014, then didn't really follow up (leading people to think they'd decided to go along with the GBM approach the rest of the Linux ecosystem was coalescing around), then suddenly dropped a finished EGLStreams approach on us relatively recently and expected everyone to just support it, even if that meant either supporting two stacks or throwing out all of their work on GBM.

Comment

Is EGLStream just NIH?
                  I think EGLStreams encapsulates more, but is harder to use. It is a part of EGL 1.5 I think, but has been an optional EGL extension for years. I first ran into it with QNX and how they share OpenGL surfaces between processes there. The official Khronos extension spec does list an NVidia guy as the contact though.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    Also, nice to see that KDE rolled up their sleeves to support EGLStreams instead of acting like a big baby like Gnome. I think Mir supports EGLStream (or work in progress?) already as well. Anyone know if any other Wayland compositors support it yet, or will?
                    I hope you know that Qt is no the same as KDE!

And regarding who's acting like a baby, read this again pls:
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and this:

Comment

Working...
                    X