No announcement yet.

Raspbian Likely To Use Firmware-Based KMS For Raspberry Pi As Temporary Measure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspbian Likely To Use Firmware-Based KMS For Raspberry Pi As Temporary Measure

Phoronix: Raspbian Likely To Use Firmware-Based KMS For Raspberry Pi As Temporary Measure

Eric Anholt has been working at Broadcom for more than two years to develop the "VC4" open-source Linux graphics driver stack consisting of the DRM/KMS kernel driver and VC4 Gallium3D driver in user-space. While there's been 2+ years of work and tons of progress made, it's still not feature-complete compared to the older proprietary driver and as an interim solution Eric has hacked up a firmware-based KMS path...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are RPi users going to be still able to use the Proprietary driver if we want? I'm not willing to give up performance that I paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Are RPi users going to be still able to use the Proprietary driver if we want? I'm not willing to give up performance that I paid for.
      No, they will visit your house and force you to install the new version. \s

I am sure they will keep the option for the closed driver around until the open one can do everything, if not forever. It was the case that the open driver could not do video acceleration, so unless that can be fixed i doubt the closed driver will go away. For 3D performance the open driver may and up being faster, http://anholt.livejournal.com/47610.html .

Comment

Hasn't the open driver been faster for quite some time already?

Comment

I was curious how does the ubuntu arm core (non snappy) compare to raspbian in terms of integrating with the pi? I like using the xubuntu arm build.

Comment

I'm not willing to give up performance that I paid for.
            why not use faster gallium driver then?

Comment

Proprietary version can't even run full opengl.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Proprietary version can't even run full opengl.
                I would love if mesamatrix/features.txt would be updated to contain information on the other drivers (vc4, freedreno, virgl, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                X