Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Studio 2.2 Beta Ships With Beta GPU Debugger

Phoronix: Android Studio 2.2 Beta Ships With Beta GPU Debugger

Android developers announced the release today of the Android Studio 2.2 integrated development environment with many changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Probably one of the most bloated IDEs I've ever tried in my whole life.

Comment

Minor point, I think this release is on Stable channel (the GPU debugger is still in beta though).

As far as most bloated? Not sure. But the last thing I have to compare it to is Eclipse. Seems perfectly usable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        Do you think PyCharm is bloated as well? Or any other Jetbrains IDEs?

They tend to be best in class.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          You are confusing this JetBrains based one with the old Eclipse based one.

Comment

I hope they add Java 8 and Java 9 support.
            So developers can develop using modern language constructs.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I hope they add Java 8 and Java 9 support.
              So developers can develop using modern language constructs.
              Afaik, Java 8 is supported in Nougat. Java 9 is not out (won't be till next year) so it will be a while till we see it supported. Though Java 9 is mostly about modularizing the JDK/JRE so I don't see immediate benefits for Android there.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Afaik, Java 8 is supported in Nougat. Java 9 is not out (won't be till next year) so it will be a while till we see it supported. Though Java 9 is mostly about modularizing the JDK/JRE so I don't see immediate benefits for Android there.
                Yeah, I just read that Android have partial support for Java 8 on Nougat when using the Jack compiler.
                Discover the Java 8 language features you can use, how to properly configure your project to use them, and any known issues you may encounter.

I hope that Android soon gets full Java 8 support, and will be early to get Java 9 support as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, I just read that Android have partial support for Java 8 on Nougat when using the Jack compiler.
                  Discover the Java 8 language features you can use, how to properly configure your project to use them, and any known issues you may encounter.

I hope that Android soon gets full Java 8 support, and will be early to get Java 9 support as soon as possible.
                  Again, why? Which of these features do you think will make your life easier as a mobile developer? http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/
                  Also, support for Java8 being this late doesn't tell you anything about support for Java9?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Again, why? Which of these features do you think will make your life easier as a mobile developer?
                    Wasn't him the guy that wanted to drop also DRI2 and DRI1 kernel drivers for lulz?

Comment

Working...
                    X