Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcache File-System Has Initial Encryption Patches

Phoronix: Bcache File-System Has Initial Encryption Patches

It's been a while since last having anything to talk about with regard to Bcachefs as a file-system aiming for speed while having ZFS/Btrfs-like capabilities and being spun out of the Bcache caching code. This file-system now has tentative patches for complete encryption support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> This encryption code also doesn't support per-directory encryption.

Note that this is a feature; see the "Rationale" in the section named "Filesystem vs. directory encryption".

Comment

which distro bestly/beastly support it out of the box?
      I wonder how long before Fedora/openSuse Will give up on btrfs

Comment

Originally posted by fabdiznec View Post
        > This encryption code also doesn't support per-directory encryption.

Note that this is a feature; see the "Rationale" in the section named "Filesystem vs. directory encryption".
        Right, but it is something that many supporting multi-user systems would like...
        Using CGroup namespaces restrict users to their own home directory, and each user has his own password.

S.

Comment

Side note: there are patches floating around in the ml for btrfs encryption too.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
            whatever with the newest kernels, Arch or Gentoo for example.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              whatever with the newest kernels, Arch or Gentoo for example.
              Any recent kernel has bcache, but not bcachefs.
              From the bcachefs website:

Bcachefs is not upstream, and won't be for awhile. If you want to try out bcachefs now, you'll need to be comfortable with building your own kernel. Also, as bcachefs has had many incompatible on disk format changes, you cannot currently build a kernel with support for both bcachefs and the existing, upstream bcache on disk format (this will change prior to bcachefs going upstream).

Comment

i'm really looking forward to this fs
                seems promising

Comment

I am waiting... patiently

We know what a train-wreck BTRFS is - so hopefully bcachefs will be the "true" future for Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                    I wonder how long before Fedora/openSuse Will give up on btrfs
                    Fedora:
                    - They've already given up on btrfs by default (it's still available to install on it - as the drivers are compiled in the kernel. But it's not the official "go to" FS on Fedora. XFS is this, instead).

OpenSUSE:
                    - Won't abandon btrfs anytime soon: they've written their own set of tools to make administrating BTRFS partitions much easier (See "btrfs-maintenance" package). And with this the system works as it should (I use this combo: BTRFS on openSUSE).

On the other hand, ReiserFS was their default file system some years ago, so it seems they have a tendency to pick the wrong players....

Comment

Working...
                    X