Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At The Exciting Features/Improvements Of GNOME 3.22

Phoronix: A Look At The Exciting Features/Improvements Of GNOME 3.22

If all goes well, GNOME 3.22 will be officially released tomorrow, 21 September. Here is a recap of some of the new features and improvements made over this past six month development cycle plus some screenshots of the near-final desktop that will power the upcoming Fedora 25 Workstation.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is one typo "working on multi-DPI renderingfor" I believe there should be a space after rendering.

Very good update, this year will be the beginning of the death of X11 and it is really good since most of the issues like tearing will be fixed (would be even better if nvidia weren't so bitchy about not using GBM. In fact, from current situation nvidia drivers will work on nothing but X11 if they choose not to make their drivers use proper stack).

Comment

I couldn't find the enter location button in Nautilus 3.21. Was it removed?

Comment

Can it run Qt5 based application as wayland clients? Plasma 5.8 supports running GTK3 applications natively on Wayland.

Comment

Ad blocking sounds like a VERY sane default to me...

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
            Can it run Qt5 based application as wayland clients? Plasma 5.8 supports running GTK3 applications natively on Wayland.
            Plasma 5.8 doesnt even run on wayland at all. It doesnt support EGLStreams.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
              I would be surprised if not, and even more if there wasn't a simple setting/environment variable for that.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercoms View Post
                I couldn't find the enter location button in Nautilus 3.21. Was it removed?
                I would assume Ctrl+L still works?

Comment

Not all is dandy though with some features missing out for GNOME 3.22 such as the GTK Scene Kit that now won't happen until GNOME 3.24 and another big letdown is the GNOME Control Center hasn't switched to its new user-inteface by default for this cycle. But hey, it's just features to look forward to in early 2017 with GNOME 3.24.
                  GNOME 4.0? Or GTK and GNOME will not share the same version number any more?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
                    There is one typo "working on multi-DPI renderingfor" I believe there should be a space after rendering.

Very good update, this year will be the beginning of the death of X11 and it is really good since most of the issues like tearing will be fixed (would be even better if nvidia weren't so bitchy about not using GBM. In fact, from current situation nvidia drivers will work on nothing but X11 if they choose not to make their drivers use proper stack).
                    Last I saw gnome plans on supporting EGLStreams at some point which is disappointing. Rich Nivida can throw a tantrum and get their way instead of working with the community. If they got blackballed they would have changed their tune eventually.

Comment

Working...
                    X