Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Presents Over GBM vs. EGLStreams, The Big Wayland Support Debate Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Presents Over GBM vs. EGLStreams, The Big Wayland Support Debate Continues

Phoronix: NVIDIA Presents Over GBM vs. EGLStreams, The Big Wayland Support Debate Continues

James Jones of NVIDIA just finished taking the stage at XDC2016 where he was talking about Unix device memory allocation, which comes down to the big EGLStreams vs. GBM debate... A.k.a. NVIDIA pushing a different approach for their Wayland support from the Wayland compositors currently focusing around GBM for buffers. This debate is leading towards the development of a new API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How the hell is eglstreams "proven" when only nvidia wants to use it? Has even been used anywhere else?

Comment

From that list, either Vulkan or something new.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        From that list, either Vulkan or something new.
        Possibly both, since it sounds like Vulcan would not be a complete solution on it's own. Vulcan plus some new specs to address the gaps might be the best option, standards-wise.

Regardless, some compromise is needed. It's a pain that Nvidia won't provide a conventional Linux driver that uses the same Mesa-based infrastructure other hardware does. But you can also appreciate from their point of view that cross-platform is a big deal... their own existing infrastructure is what's allowed them to provide high-quality Linux support for so many years.

Oh, and that's not speaking as a fan-boy... I stick to AMD hardware, because I prefer good open drivers that actually work with things like Wayland. But I do appreciate the problems Nvidia are having to balance here...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
          ...But you can also appreciate from their point of view that cross-platform is a big deal...
          Note that none of their other platforms use EGLStreams...

Comment

Delgarde Even adding that to Vulkan is debatable. Vulkan is to be an API to squeeze max performance for 3D apps. Adding desktop related convenience APIs on top may be considered bloatware by some.
            That's why it's important to talk things through (10x if needed), before implementing.

Comment

It would be great if you could just use the nouveau driver for the desktop and switch on the fly to the nVidia driver for gaming.

Comment

this is what i dislike about wayland, every compositor must implement EVERYTHING(now libweston and wayland protocols should help)
                mir even if less developed/supported does not have this problem

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Delgarde Even adding that to Vulkan is debatable. Vulkan is to be an API to squeeze max performance for 3D apps. Adding desktop related convenience APIs on top may be considered bloatware by some.
                  That's why it's important to talk things through (10x if needed), before implementing.
                  That's why I said "Vulcan + some new specs". I don't know specifics, but yeah... I assume that if these things are not in Vulcan already, they may not belong there, and will need to be something on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo
                    this is what i dislike about wayland, every compositor must implement EVERYTHING(now libweston and wayland protocols should help)
                    mir even if less developed/supported does not have this problem
                    And how many compositors are there which speak the Mir protocol?

Comment

Working...
                    X