No announcement yet.

OpenSolaris-Derived Illumos Switching Away From GRUB 0.97 To A New Bootloader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSolaris-Derived Illumos Switching Away From GRUB 0.97 To A New Bootloader

Phoronix: OpenSolaris-Derived Illumos Switching Away From GRUB 0.97 To A New Bootloader

The OpenSolaris-derived Illumos project is rolling out its new bootloader project to use on new systems in place of its old GRUB (v0.97) legacy bootloader...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't go to GRUB2, is there something I'm missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
      Hmm, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't go to GRUB2, is there something I'm missing?
      It's GPLv3.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
        FreeBSD adopted the Solaris boot environments - beadm - and there was some work done to integrate that with the boot loader. So perhaps they've chosen it to take advantage of that.

Comment

this boot-loader, does it have better BTRFS support than Grub2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
            Considering AFAIK there is no Btrfs port to FreeBSD or Illumos, I would guess not.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Considering AFAIK there is no Btrfs port to FreeBSD or Illumos, I would guess not.
              ok thanks Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                This bootloader is specific to handle only ZFS boot enviroments

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

And given that BTRFS shares code with some other functionalities in the Linux kernel (some code is shared with device mapper and with mdadm), it won't be that easy to do a fast straight port to BSDs.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

And given that BTRFS shares code with some other functionalities in the Linux kernel (some code is shared with device mapper and with mdadm), it won't be that easy to do a fast straight port to BSDs.
                    TrueOS's GRUB does have ZFS support. But not sure if "generic" FreeBSD has same version of GRUB in ports or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X