Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Various HDDs & SSDs On Ubuntu With The Linux 4.8 Kernel

Phoronix: Testing Various HDDs & SSDs On Ubuntu With The Linux 4.8 Kernel

Here are some fresh benchmarks of various solid-state drives (SATA 3.0 SSDs plus two NVMe M.2 SSDs) as well as two HDDs for getting a fresh look at how they are performing using the Linux 4.8 Git kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those are some pretty significant ranges in performance.
    Thanks for the test results.

Comment

The 950 Pro is missing from the SQLite results.

Comment

Which are NVMe?

Also, the only way I knew the Intel SSDPEKKW256G7 256GB was the 600P is that I noticed the same drive was the only Intel model referenced in the 600P benchmarks. It'd be nice if you could note that, as well.

P.S. Thanks for the benchies!

Comment

I have a 950 Pro 512 GB at my disposal, in addition to an Engineering Sample Xeon E5-2680 v4 (clocked at 2.2GHz instead of 2.4), would anyone be interested in Benchmarks? I'd try and set up PTS then before I put the machine in production.

I think it may be interesting to see how the 950 Pro 512 GB performs vs. the 256GB.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
            I have a 950 Pro 512 GB at my disposal, in addition to an Engineering Sample Xeon E5-2680 v4 (clocked at 2.2GHz instead of 2.4), would anyone be interested in Benchmarks? I'd try and set up PTS then before I put the machine in production.

I think it may be interesting to see how the 950 Pro 512 GB performs vs. the 256GB.
            I also have 950 Pro 512 GB with an Intel i7-6700K. It performs a lot better than 256 GB. It would be nice if Michael would include it in the tests, although that would not be very fair and probably require the 512 GB version of Intel 600p to also be included.

Comment

And now set nobarrier=1 in fstab and re-run the tests. Some slow in SQLite SSDs will now be super fast, while PostgreSQL results can change even more. Disabling write barrier may be ok for a laptop with a good battery, but still a risk some data will get corrupted. It seems that some or even many SSDs have low write barrier performance. My old Intel SSD is still the best among SSDs I have tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post

I also have 950 Pro 512 GB with an Intel i7-6700K. It performs a lot better than 256 GB. It would be nice if Michael would include it in the tests, although that would not be very fair and probably require the 512 GB version of Intel 600p to also be included.
                Seeing as I buy these SSDs as opposed to getting review samples of them, that's why I only buy the 128~256GB versions plus my benchmarking systems don't need more storage than that.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X