Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.10 Final Beta Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.10 Final Beta Released

It feels like so soon - we are just two weeks out from seeing the official Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" release. Today the final beta is available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad not more of the GNOME packages are version 3.22. Such as GNOME Terminal, gnome-shell, mutter, GNOME Software, etc.

GNOME Terminal is buggy under Wayland, it has a ugly shadow.
    Evince is broken and doesn't run at all on Wayland, because it tries to find Mir.

Other than that, Ubuntu 16.10 is really nice!

Comment

I've lost track - were we supposed to see Mir by default in this one? If not, when are they promising it will be shipped by default now?

Comment

uid313 Seriously, complaining about Ubuntu not being cutting edge?
        I can't wait to see what the Neon guys make out of this. Maybe they'll finally get rid of the shutdown bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
          I've lost track - were we supposed to see Mir by default in this one? If not, when are they promising it will be shipped by default now?
          Good question, I've been wondering myself, I only recall they cancelled their intent to have it by default for 16.10, but I don't recall news about a new unity-8-by-default schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
            By 17.10~18.04 to have Unity 8 + Mir by default.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              uid313 Seriously, complaining about Ubuntu not being cutting edge?
              I can't wait to see what the Neon guys make out of this. Maybe they'll finally get rid of the shutdown bug.
              Neon is not aimed today for production use. And considering the number of new graphical features it offers it is quite impressive.
              And... yes this shutdown bug is annoying anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Neon is not aimed today for production use. And considering the number of new graphical features it offers it is quite impressive.
                At work I'm still on Kubuntu, but Neon is perfect @home
                Though, considering Neon user edition is quite stable and KDE is buggy anyway, I think if you can use Kubuntu, you can safely switch to Neon. I don't do it because I need to keep my system in sync with the rest of the team, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

At work I'm still on Kubuntu, but Neon is perfect @home
                  Though, considering Neon user edition is quite stable and KDE is buggy anyway, I think if you can use Kubuntu, you can safely switch to Neon. I don't do it because I need to keep my system in sync with the rest of the team, though.
                  I did not switch "officially" to Neon atm, I just use it as bootable media and still using a mix of Opensuse, Ubuntu & Mint, both work & home.

But I hope Neon will keep the good job so that it will be my next distro in 2017, because it looks and works like the Linux I waited for years.

Concerning Mir, I am pretty sure it will be defaulted in 2 entire alphabet names of Ubuntu ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Did you tried this:

edit /etc/systemd/system.conf and uncomment the two values of "90s" and set them to "10s" and it now shuts down a little quicker"
                    I did it and works for me. I changed 10 seconds to 15 to avoid close any important task prematurely, but the system shutdown fast as it should anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X