Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Should Soon Start Receiving "Make WiFi Fast" Improvements

Phoronix: Linux Should Soon Start Receiving "Make WiFi Fast" Improvements

In the months ahead the Linux kernel should start receiving the work out of the "make-wifi-fast" initiative for improving WiFi reliability and performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I look forward to these improvements. The blog post is very nice too, these guys need big kudos
    I almost wish we could all donate 1 [monetary unit] to the cause.

Comment

I'd prefer a "make audio not suck" initiative but yeah.

Comment

89c51 dude, what's your problem? Is it really so hard to compliment someone on a job well done?

Comment

What exactly is so bad about wifi? The last time I really had wifi problems was nearly 10 years ago when I still needed to use ndiswrapper.

As for audio, I agree - that needs improvement. ALSA is in desperate need for restructuring (configuring it manually is almost guaranteed a waste of time), and pulseaudio still feels incomplete, though at least it's very functional today.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            I'd prefer a "make audio not suck" initiative but yeah.
            What do you guys do with audio that suck? I use games, videos & music (both listening and editing) and it just works... Or maybe is it on pro/5 channel hardware??

Comment

Nice. WiFi is one of the main problem on Linux. Drivers does not seems as good as on Windows

Comment

Originally posted by woprandi View Post
                Nice. WiFi is one of the main problem on Linux. Drivers does not seems as good as on Windows
                I have never heard anyone say that for at least 5-10 years. Back in the day, sure. Lately I haven't had/heard of many issues with it at all using pretty standard hardware setups.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  What do you guys do with audio that suck? I use games, videos & music (both listening and editing) and it just works... Or maybe is it on pro/5 channel hardware??
                  If you use integrated audio with stereo playback, or only watch movies in surround sound (meaning, no games), then linux audio is fine. On basic setups you can comfortably get by without PA, which is nice. But if you do anything beyond that, it quickly becomes user-unfriendly and difficult. Both ALSA and PA offer powerful features that even Windows can't do, but figuring out how to get such things to work is generally a waste of time. ALSA functionally works fine, but my main gripe with it is the lack of up-to-date, complete, and most importantly, comprehensive documentation. My main gripe with PA is how horribly fragmented it is. There are around 5 or so "official" GUI tools, some of which have their own set of dependencies. A couple of these tools can be obsoleted by desktop-environment tools. But there are some features of PA that none of these tools have access to (they can only be configured via a text editor), and, there are a few features that can only be done via the command line. That is just plain unacceptable.

Comment

Nice! I really think WiFi needs improvements, especially with regards to queuing and latency as it is abysmal when trying to pass any kind of sound protocol via wireless adapter. Pulseaudio for me is one of the best thing on Linux -- I use integrated sound card or to the USB one, stream audio via Ethernet and use Bluetooth headset, everything works perfectly with each device having its own saved profiles -- yes, configuration required vim (at least two years ago), but that is a really small price to pay

Comment

Working...
                    X