Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NixOS 16.09 Released, Reduced Disk Space & Package Hardening

Phoronix: NixOS 16.09 Released, Reduced Disk Space & Package Hardening

Version 16.09 of NixOS is now available, the Linux distribution focused on being a "purely functional distribution" and built atop the Nix package manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Love the idea behind it. The consistent configuration of these systems is simply awesome. Great to manage especially if have to administer a network of these machines. I really the community grows. Perhaps I will write a GUI for the packages which allows everything to be configured the clicky way ... N00bs will love it!

Comment

Well this peaks my interest as it throws the Linux File-system Hierarchy out the window.

I wish Ubuntu would have done this. Most people aren't going to know that etc means Editable Text Configuration, or /opt means Optional or /usr means Universal Software Repository

Actually WTF is a Universal Software Repository? I would much prefer /apps for programs, and /applets for CLI utilities.

Sigh... once again Ignorance complicates and Genius simplifies... FHS is one example of a bad thing holding Linux back from widespread adoption - it raises the entry level of user competence, some might consider that good, and others bad. I prefer a sane layout.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        Well this peaks my interest as it throws the Linux File-system Hierarchy out the window.

I wish Ubuntu would have done this. Most people aren't going to know that etc means Editable Text Configuration, or /opt means Optional or /usr means Universal Software Repository

Actually WTF is a Universal Software Repository? I would much prefer /apps for programs, and /applets for CLI utilities.

Sigh... once again Ignorance complicates and Genius simplifies... FHS is one example of a bad thing holding Linux back from widespread adoption - it raises the entry level of user competence, some might consider that good, and others bad. I prefer a sane layout.
        Well, we could have the good days of Windows, where Microsoft has 5 different places applications are supposed to go.

C:\
        C:\Program Files\
        C:\Program Files (x86)\
        C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\
        The new AppX location, which changed from Win8 to Win10 I think.

Oh and yeah, wherever you happen to want to set the installer to install to.

Let's not mention the monstrosity that is the Registry.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          Do users actually care about this? I don't see how the average person cares about the abomination that is the OS X hierarchy.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Well, we could have the good days of Windows, where Microsoft has 5 different places applications are supposed to go.

C:\
            C:\Program Files\
            C:\Program Files (x86)\
            C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\
            The new AppX location, which changed from Win8 to Win10 I think.

Oh and yeah, wherever you happen to want to set the installer to install to.

Let's not mention the monstrosity that is the Registry.
            You forgot
            <root>\WINNT\Profiles\<username>
            <root>\Documents and Settings\<username>

Comment

Finally a better idea unlike most distros that force casual software installation in system level by default. NixOS GUI .iso is well designed and no unneeded crap bundled like markets, seperate music and video player, office, mail etc... Lets hope they integrate some sort of user level extract and run software system too ( similar to Flatpak or Snap), simply said like portable apps on Windows.

NixOS has much to do but lets hope it becomes OS that can even convert Win users to finally use Linux based OS. I have seen way lot of people who had been scared away from Linux because Linux gurus scared them away with terminal or other complicated stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

You forgot
                <root>\WINNT\Profiles\<username>
                <root>\Documents and Settings\<username>
                I didn't know about <root>\WINNT\Profiles\<username>.

To be fair about Documents and Settings, Microsoft did the smart thing and symlinked it in future versions. Which begs the question, why they didn't do that with other things.

Comment

Working...
                X