RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver Submitted For Review To Be Included In Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver Submitted For Review To Be Included In Mesa

Phoronix: RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver Submitted For Review To Be Included In Mesa

It's looking more and more like this month's Mesa 12.1/13.0 release will have the RADV open-source Radeon Vulkan driver included!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No support for the Rage 128 Pro then?

Comment

What's the hurry? If it isn't compliant yet, it isn't feature complete. By definition this means alpha software. Since when do we merge alpha code into stable software, especially as big and important as Mesa? A separate build, e.g. Mesa-Staging would make more sense.

Comment

That's amazing news. I haven't even installed the AMDGPU-Pro- driver this time betting on Kernel support soon. It looks like it will happen sooner than I have even thought.

When it comes to specification compliance, a non- compliant driver is even better than no Vulkan support at all. The worst thing that can happen is a crashing game I guess. And when it already renders the games correctly I don't see anything speaking against the merge. So in the end I don't really care who provides the support. I wish it was the same for OpenCL and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          What's the hurry? If it isn't compliant yet, it isn't feature complete. By definition this means alpha software. Since when do we merge alpha code into stable software, especially as big and important as Mesa? A separate build, e.g. Mesa-Staging would make more sense.
          It's possible to write a fully compliant vulkan driver that can't render talos properly. By your measure none of Mesa is stable software for OpenGL, since nothing in Mesa has yet completed an OpenGL compliance run either. Some GLES compliance has been done and ANV is compliance with the first vulkan 1.0.0 but I'm not sure it passes 1.0.1 CTS yet.

Dave.

Comment

What's the hurry? If it isn't compliant yet, it isn't feature complete. By definition this means alpha software. Since when do we merge alpha code into stable software, especially as big and important as Mesa?
            Since always?

A separate build, e.g. Mesa-Staging would make more sense.
            It's already disabled by default, so if you choose to enable it you know what you're doing. (Technically, all the drivers are disabled by default. You have to pick and choose what you want when you compile mesa.)
            Last edited by smitty3268; 03 October 2016, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I've heard about alpha and beta status of software in the last century. Back then, I wasn't experience enough to judge about this. Today I can tell you that either developers have no idea what these categories are or simply live in blissful ignorance. I've heard that this piece of software you classified as alpha is quite usable already. And I'd like to develop Vulkan on RadeonSI. So yes, I appreciate it. And honestly, is nouveau and a lot of other rather mediocre drivers stable and mature? For sure, RADV wouldn't be the least useful feature.

Comment

Ok, I'm going to point out the obvious here and say, because its the only thing we have that works. And about the alpha thing, all I'm going to say is intel.

Comment

Linux has staging, Wine has staging, etc... so why Mesa to not have staging

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
                    No support for the Rage 128 Pro then?
                    Yeah, AMD windows driver even depend DX12 on some CPU instructions... so not working on Core2Duo/Quad CPUs

New APIs are designed to support new hardware as always

Comment

Working...
                    X