Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Users: Don't Run "DNF Update" From The Desktop

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Users: Don't Run "DNF Update" From The Desktop

Fedora 24 users are advised against currently updating your system using the common dnf update command when running GNOME, KDE, or any other graphical desktop. Due to an awkward bug being explored, it could leave your system in an unhappy state...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm glad I havent upgraded yet from F23. Dont see a reason to, its one thing that also holds true with kernel releases.

no reason to, unless you feel like testing things.

Comment

The solution? Install Debian stable or an Ubuntu LTS. Problem solved.

Comment

There's also a bug were if you block kernel packages from being updated, via dnf.conf, Gnome Software, or any PakageKit frontend, stops working.

Comment

Why does this Fedora "behavior" for DNF strike me as "poor quality control" and something that should be caught during pre-release product testing?

I would have instructed the programmers to either: give me a "fix"; deny DNF from working via the desktop ("a workaround"); or, delayed the release of the product rather than introduce a flaw (call it a "feature" if you wish) that might damage the reputation of the product.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
            I'm glad I havent upgraded yet from F23. Dont see a reason to, its one thing that also holds true with kernel releases.

no reason to, unless you feel like testing things.
            I've been using F24 for the last 8-10 weeks without issue.
            The real issue here is that people are updating using "dnf update" to update a desktop/UI stack while it's still running; I wouldn't really call this a safe practice in general.
            IMHO if someone is updating software that is currently running that can't be closed (i.e. X and whatnot), they should really use offline updates, or if that's too inconvenient, switch to a terminal where if the interface crashes, it doesn't kill DNF in the process.

Comment

"Don't update your Fedora system while running a Desktop Enviroment or you could end up with duplicated packages, kernel updates not working, or even crash your Desktop Enviroment"
              HAHAHAHAHAHA. I feel sorry for those running this poor excuse of a distro in his workstation

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                Why does this Fedora "behavior" for DNF strike me as "poor quality control" and something that should be caught during pre-release product testing?

I would have instructed the programmers to either: give me a "fix"; deny DNF from working via the desktop ("a workaround"); or, delayed the release of the product rather than introduce a flaw (call it a "feature" if you wish) that might damage the reputation of the product.
                I wouldn't say this is a good idea. I think maybe having a disclaimer when updating software that's currently running would be more helpful.

I mean it's not like updating close-able software like nautilus or mousepad, or similar, is the issue here. Updating GTK, or GDM, or Mutter while running dnf in gnome-terminal in GNOME sounds like silly idea to me, but I can't say I'm completely innocent of doing this.

Comment

Ahm since when is that a problem? Did that for years (updating running software) on different distros and don't recall ever having had issues with it. On ubuntu, firefox asked for a restart afterwards, but on fedora I often had already updated but still running software open for days (I usually just suspend my laptop).

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                    Updating GTK, or GDM, or Mutter while running dnf in gnome-terminal in GNOME sounds like silly idea to me
                    I don't know what you mean, I've always updated Kernel, running Firefox, running Desktop Enviroment, running GTK, everything. on my distro without any issue.
                    But Fedora seems to often hit this kind of bugs.

Comment

Working...
                    X