Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung's Proposal For A Picture Processing API In Linux DRM

Phoronix: Samsung's Proposal For A Picture Processing API In Linux DRM

While not yet merged into the mainline Linux kernel and so far not seen as favorable by upstream DRM kernel veterans, Samsung developers have been working on a picture processing API for the Direct Rendering Manager (DRM). At this week's LinuxCon Europe, they are presenting their API proposal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not fond of DRM because the consumer looses from it. However, I'm curious what this patch represents in layman's terms.

Also, what common scenario would this patch effect and how?

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      I'm not fond of DRM because the consumer looses from it. However, I'm curious what this patch represents in layman's terms.

Also, what common scenario would this patch effect and how?
      Please explain how the consumer loses from the Direct Rendering Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        Please explain how the consumer loses from the Direct Rendering Manager.
        Wondering the same... I suspect Prism has confused (FOSS's) Direct Rendering Manager and (corporate America's) Despotic Restriction Machinery?

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          However, I'm curious what this patch represents in layman's terms.
          This adds a generic kernel API to let userspace control hardware accelerators that deal with "copies, color space conversion, scaling".

These hardware accelerators are needed by programs like this https://www.abbyy.com/en-eu/mobile-i...k/description/ to work without murdering the CPU of an embedded device or requiring many many many backends to be able to use the 5 zillion different API of the proprietary (or open) drivers that run the dozens of different families such hardware accelerators found in embedded hardware now.

All in all it's a beneficial thing, and what the kernel was made for, providing a SINGLE api to control the hardware from userspace.

Only showstopper seems that kernel mantainers don't seem to like the patch, probably because bad code quality (totally unexpected from Samsung, really).
          I'm trying to get at the mailing list posts but I'm not finding anything.

Comment

awww come on guys, people confuse things in good faith and you only mock them?

Comment

Hopefully something similar would be done for audio decoding. Could be useful for audio playback in low-energy modes (like on Android tablets in suspend mode).

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...heet-vol-1.pdf - 7.2.1.1

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                probably because bad code quality (totally unexpected from Samsung, really).
                Was that sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Palmer View Post
                  Wondering the same... I suspect Prism has confused (FOSS's) Direct Rendering Manager and (corporate America's) Despotic Restriction Machinery?
                  I actually needed a comment like this to understand his confusion. Let it be clear that a few years back I was confused myself. If I now hear DRM I have no associations anymore with a few rich guys.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                    Was that sarcasm?
                    the "totally unexpected" part was sarcasm.

Comment

Working...
                    X