Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25 Is Still On Track To Use Wayland By Default

Phoronix: Fedora 25 Is Still On Track To Use Wayland By Default

Back in August Fedora 25 switched to using Wayland by default in time for the project's alpha release. With next week's beta release, Fedora 25 is still using Wayland by default and it looks like it will remain that way unless any showstoppers appear...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael (or anyone testing F25), do you know if dual-monitor is working with different resolutions with Wayland/Gnome? Specifically, a primary monitor with a secondary HDTV, in desktop extended mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Noee View Post
      Michael (or anyone testing F25), do you know if dual-monitor is working with different resolutions with Wayland/Gnome? Specifically, a primary monitor with a secondary HDTV, in desktop extended mode.
      It worked last time I checked.

Was it broken at some point?

I did notice that it likes to default the HDTV as primary instead of the monitor, even if I switch the cables. That's easily switchable though (Although, I have a bug requesting a way to easily configure GDM).

Comment

Originally posted by Noee View Post
        Yes, this works with a notebook and an external monitor. Both have different resolutions.

Comment

Thx, last time I tried (Toshiba laptop - SUMO2 and desktop - HD6570) I couldn't get my HDTV to accept the rez. Maybe an EDID issue, not sure, didn't follow up, but I had an AVR in between at one point too. I'll give it another shot with the beta.

Comment

So X11 is now a pure fallback and there's no option in GBM anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              So X11 is now a pure fallback and there's no option in GBM anymore?
              Fedora 24:
              Gnome (default Xorg)
              Gnome on Wayland

Fedora 25:
              Gnome(Default Wayland)
              Gnome on Xorg

thats it

Comment

I believe Wayland will only work with open source drivers. Nvidia binaries users are out of luck for now

Comment

Last I heard, if you use Redshift or any other program to remove blue light from your monitor at night, it won't work with Wayland. Not sure if that's still the case though.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
                    Last I heard, if you use Redshift or any other program to remove blue light from your monitor at night, it won't work with Wayland. Not sure if that's still the case though.
                    Launching redshift on Wayland ends with: Unable to start GeoClue client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Access denied. This error can be fixed by running redshift as root, whi...

Comment

Working...
                    X