Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marek Has Taken To Improving Mesa's GLSL Compiler Performance

Phoronix: Marek Has Taken To Improving Mesa's GLSL Compiler Performance

With catching up on the OpenGL extensions, Marek Olšák of AMD has been spending a fair amount of time on performance optimizations for the AMD's open-source OpenGL driver and some code that benefits Mesa as a whole too. One of his latest patch series is on optimizing Mesa's GLSL compiler performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Marek is one of the most prolific contributor on linux operating system development and I thank him.

Comment

what a hero

Comment

25% speed up.

Comment

Hero is right !! Send that man a case of his favorite beverage stat !!

Comment

It is important to note that this will not manifest itself in 25% faster compilation times for radeonsi. This test is done without any backend compiler. It's only the glsl compiler compiling, and then the result is dropped on the floor. For radeonsi it will have to be handed over to LLVM for compiling to bytecode for the graphics card. The benefit will therefore be lower. The article did not really point this out all that well.

Comment

In fact Marek mentions about half of that, so 13% reduction in compile time, as the result for radeonsi, but with varying amounts of effect in different situations due to asynchronous compiling in LLVM hiding some of the overhead in LLVM. Still a nice improvement though!

Comment

I assume that the glsl improvements concerns with all the hardware which supports these specifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  I assume that the glsl improvements concerns with all the hardware which supports these specifications.
                  Yes, the part of the GLSL compiler these changes affect is shared among all drivers.

Comment

I must say I am proud of my ethusiastic native Marek and his endless effort make AMD for linux better and better.

Comment

Working...
                    X