Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Epiphany Browser Is Quick To Working On 3.24 Features

Phoronix: GNOME's Epiphany Browser Is Quick To Working On 3.24 Features

It's been just over two weeks since GNOME 3.22 was released while already a ton of feature work has been landing in Epiphany, GNOME's Web Browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The great thing about Epiphany is that it natively runs on Wayland.
    Something neither Chrome or Firefox does (however, you can run them over XWayland).

Does Epiphany support the WebExtensions standard?
    If so then Chrome extensions should work.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      No, it does not.

Comment

Friends don't let friends run epifani.

Comment

Something neither Chrome or Firefox does (however, you can run them over XWayland).

Its very name refers to the feeling the user gets when s/he realises level of crapness this thing caries within it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

Its very name refers to the feeling the user gets when s/he realises level of crapness this thing caries within it.
            The browser with > 3% of the world's browser market share and the smallest financial backing is Firefox. The Mozilla Foundation has about three hundred million dollars in gross revenue per year. All of the other big players in the browser market: Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer/Edge have companies that do more than seventy billion dollars in gross revenue backing them.

It's not hard to understand that any other browser vendor is going to have problems - even if they use Webkit or other open source tools backed by the big players as a core component. I wish the Epiphany team all of the success in the world, but I'm not optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
              It's not hard to understand that any other browser vendor is going to have problems - even if they use Webkit or other open source tools backed by the big players as a core component. I wish the Epiphany team all of the success in the world, but I'm not optimistic.
              I don't expect from Epiphany to equal other major players. I expect from it to find its niche. I don't think Lynx is braindead just because Chrome is so much more powerful in every way. Lynx is specialized tool that has its uses.

But EPiphany is presented as awesome lightweight browser, and it is neither. It's hard to find a page that it can open in a useable way and after that it's hard to justify its use.

Comment

Didn't they said that the 3.22 will be last version of 3.xx series?

Comment

I wish KDE (KF5) had a browser. (And document viewer, and music player, and...)

Comment

Chrome has Wayland support. Compile-time option iirc.

Comment

Working...
                    X