Patches Revised For Supporting OpenGL 4.0 On Intel Haswell With Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patches Revised For Supporting OpenGL 4.0 On Intel Haswell With Mesa

Phoronix: Patches Revised For Supporting OpenGL 4.0 On Intel Haswell With Mesa

Iago Toral Quiroga of Igalia has sent out the second version of his massive 103 patches for implementing FP64 support for Intel Haswell hardware within the i965 Mesa driver in order to expose OpenGL 4.0 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you so much, guys! I have a Haswell processor and I am glad now. Is there any chance to see Haswell graphics to receive a Vulkan driver?

Comment

Originally posted by bcellin View Post
      Thank you so much, guys! I have a Haswell processor and I am glad now. Is there any chance to see Haswell graphics to receive a Vulkan driver?
      The and driver for Intel already has Haswell support. I don't think it works as well as the newer geneeations of chips, but it is there. My work laptop has a haswell, and I've at least fired up a few of the simple Vulcan demos a few months ago

Comment

I read somewhere (probably here) that it was possible to support some vulkan functionality from Sandy Bridge onwards (though for SB there would be no point as the missing functionality is a bit important).
        Currently the intel anvil vulkan driver supports Ivy Bridge onwards (though Ivy Bridge, Haswell and Bay Trail support is still incomplete).

Comment

So how about Ivy Bridge? Any chances it will be next?

Comment

I hope OpenGL 4.3 will follow soon.

Originally posted by phoronix
            ...for these once amazing but now aging processors.
            You make it sound like Haswell is outdated, and people should move on. Current processors aren't that much faster. The integrated graphics are not that strong compared to current GPU's, but the IGPU wasn't that powerful to begin with.

AFAIK Vulkan support was planned for Haswell, but it is still very much a work in progress.
            Last edited by JonathanM; 11 October 2016, 08:39 AM. Reason: fixed QUOTE section

Comment

Originally posted by michal_229 View Post
              So how about Ivy Bridge? Any chances it will be next?
              Ok, I fund it in commit message:

This series implements the bulk of the fp64 align16 backend support and creates the infrastructure to implement vertex attrib 64bit as well, so once this lands in master we plan to send additional series that add VA64 for Haswell, and then Fp64 and VA64 for IvyBridge.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
                You make it sound like Haswell is outdated, and people should move on. Current processors aren't that much faster. The integrated graphics are not that strong compared to current GPU's, but the IGPU wasn't that powerful to begin with.

I fully agree. Haswell is still a very capable architecture even by today's standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Xelix View Post
                  I fully agree. Haswell is still a very capable architecture even by today's standards.
                  Sandy Bridge is still a very capable architecture by today's standards... People seem to forget that since the FinFET transition in Ivy Bridge, Intel has pretty much given up on CPU architecture improvements. Most improvements made are GPU related, memory related, or due to die shrinks. That isn't necessarily a problem; if Intel keeps trying to improve their CPUs, AMD might as well give up entirely, and Intel can't afford to lose them. Intel needs something to prove to investors that they're still doing something, so improving their IGPs is a good and much needed route.

I personally think it's within Intel's interest to still support their older customers, particularly with OpenCL. They have the money to develop drivers for older products.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
                    The problem isn't so much the power of the Haswell GPU, it's that implementing anything for it is a pain in the butt, and it's an even bigger pain to implement stuff for Ivy Bridge. Whereas Broadwell and newer are much, *much* easier to program for.

The CPU, you're fully correct there, that one is still top notch. I have no need for something faster than my i5-4570S, so who knows when my next desktop purchase will be.

Comment

Working...
                    X