Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Reveals Early Details About Android 7.1

Phoronix: Google Reveals Early Details About Android 7.1

Google has begun sharing early details about the forthcoming Android 7.1 Nougat update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay, cool features, but I will have to wait another 6 months or so before I get all of them! New android versions Are good and bad. Good because moar features and bad because it will take ages for manufacturers to update and after that, ages for custom ROMs to pop up. That is why my next phone will be a pixel or whatever it will be named after 2 years.

Also, I think it is about time to change the icon for Google articles as they have changed their logo. But that is just a minor thing.

Comment

I just learned about A/B updates. If I understood correctly they will make updates faster for the user and safer at the expense of having a second system partition. It is so unfortunate that the most common issue I see with Android phones is "not enough internal memory"!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
        Yay, cool features, but I will have to wait another 6 months or so before I get all of them! New android versions Are good and bad. Good because moar features and bad because it will take ages for manufacturers to update and after that, ages for custom ROMs to pop up. That is why my next phone will be a pixel or whatever it will be named after 2 years.

Also, I think it is about time to change the icon for Google articles as they have changed their logo. But that is just a minor thing.
        Open source drivers would go a long way on solving those issues. But it's unrealistic, unfortunately...

Comment

Originally posted by zeehio View Post
          I just learned about A/B updates. If I understood correctly they will make updates faster for the user and safer at the expense of having a second system partition. It is so unfortunate that the most common issue I see with Android phones is "not enough internal memory"!
          But it isn't a Google problem anymore because they now sell a 128-gigabyte Pixel phone!

Comment

It would be a lot easier if manufacturers would just added a second set of storage on the device (4/8 GB's) for the entire system partition, updates, etc. Let the users have their advertised storage and keep your stuff separate. That would make bundled app disabling a lot more acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by srkelley5 View Post
              It would be a lot easier if manufacturers would just added a second set of storage on the device (4/8 GB's) for the entire system partition, updates, etc. Let the users have their advertised storage and keep your stuff separate. That would make bundled app disabling a lot more acceptable.
              Well, apple does exactly the same. It is just not worth it. Only a regulation can make them do it. Otherwise, they will not as it makes one company look better in the eyes of 80% of end users when the phones are almost the same and with the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by srkelley5 View Post
                I would have said sdcard slot and PROPER sdcard memory expansion support. Fuck 4/8GBs, I can get 64 for pennies.

Comment

SD cards are ok for storing the photos and videos taken with the phone, but they are way to slow for storing apps or the system partition.

I experimented with a U-3 card storing the app data for some games and it almost doubled the loading time.

Not sure if "adopting" the sd card with Android 6 (and thus formating it with ext4) would improve this. I did the test with the regular crapy exfat filesystem,

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                    I experimented with a U-3 card storing the app data for some games and it almost doubled the loading time.
                    That's because your device like most does not have the high-speed interface for them. U-3 cards can be operated also at total shit speeds of 12 MB/s because the reader's interface supports only that.

Comment

Working...
                    X