DRM Driver Changes Sent In For Linux 4.9, Sadly No Changes For Nouveau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM Driver Changes Sent In For Linux 4.9, Sadly No Changes For Nouveau

Phoronix: DRM Driver Changes Sent In For Linux 4.9, Sadly No Changes For Nouveau

David Airlie a short time ago submitted the Linux 4.9 DRM subsystem update, including the much sought after open-source Direct Rendering Manager driver improvements. There's a lot of good stuff in here, but sadly the Nouveau changes look like they're going to have to wait until Linux 4.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Quick Q: Does the nouveau driver work with the GTX 970 e.g, exposes the ability to reclock(even if manual)?

Switched from an AMD to an Nvidia GPU for native games but the games I play in Wine suffer horribly due to losing gallium nine(CSMT helps, but it's still way worse)

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      Quick Q: Does the nouveau driver work with the GTX 970 e.g, exposes the ability to reclock(even if manual)?
      No reclocking. And if it's a GTX 970 with 4GB of VRAM, it won't load at all.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

No reclocking. And if it's a GTX 970 with 4GB of VRAM, it won't load at all.
        No, it has 3.5GB of VRAM

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          But like the GCN 1.0 support, this GCN 1.0 AMDGPU
          I suppose you meant 1.1.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

Switched from an AMD to an Nvidia GPU for native games but the games I play in Wine suffer horribly due to losing gallium nine(CSMT helps, but it's still way worse)
            Try to sell the 970 at a good price. Then take a few dollars more and take a Rx 470/480 with 4/8GB (depending on the budget).

Comment

this pull is dominated by amd devs

Comment

I tried to switch to the new AMDGPU on my SI GPU. (R7-265 pitcairn)
                BTW when I launch steam I get this message "amdgpu: Unknown family."

What's missing?

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzoz View Post
                  I tried to switch to the new AMDGPU on my SI GPU. (R7-265 pitcairn)
                  BTW when I launch steam I get this message "amdgpu: Unknown family."

What's missing?
                  Did you update to the latest libdrm/mesa/xf86-video-amdgpu drivers? I think there's something in at least one of those that needs to also know that SI support for AMDGPU is a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                    I'm having problems like RetroArch hanging with DRI2 + SNA + xf86-video-intel, why is nobody working on this anymore?
                    Just switch to the modesetting driver and DRI3/glamor, and see if the problems go away. My haswell laptop has been running the modesetting driver with DRI3/glamor for a few months now, and most of my problems went away.

Comment

Working...
                    X