Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Is Hosting A Wayland Test Day Tomorrow

Phoronix: Fedora Is Hosting A Wayland Test Day Tomorrow

The Fedora QA team is organizing a Fedora 25 Workstation Wayland Test Day for tomorrow, 13 October. This is to find any last-minute bugs with next month's Fedora 25 Workstation release still set to utilize this next-gen successor to X11 by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Couldn't they display a notification on a random number of computers to ask the users if they have a few minutes to try the Wayland environment and report the results? This could be part of their next release.

Educating the users on the benefits of Wayland, while letting them choose whether to participate or not, in a transparent way (and publish the results). I do not see any obvious downside to this approach.

Comment

Firefox and Chrome needs to be ported to Wayland.
      GIMP needs to be ported from GTK2 to GTK3.
      Electron (which is the framework used by Atom and Spotify) needs to be ported from GTK2 to GTK3 and ported to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        Couldn't they display a notification on a random number of computers
        no, random users can't help them

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Electron (which is the framework used by Atom and Spotify) needs to be ported from GTK2 to GTK3 and ported to Wayland.
          Everything runs perfectly on XWayland which I am using since Fedora 23. Porting those applications, is not their problem.

Comment

IIRC FF and GIMP are a WIP, but work fine in XWayland.

As for the latter and Chrome, I'm not sure.

Comment

Michael there is bad link, it should be https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_...-10-13_Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
                That is the link I used, isn't it?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  no, random users can't help them
                  Well, I was thinking of getting feedback from diverse configurations. And to avoid being flooded with feedback, I thought about random selection (random, as in, triggered client-side, and eventually manually triggerable). Make it easy for users to test how their setup behave, including reporting incompatible software, etc.

Could you elaborate a bit why this wouldn't work? Are they seeking some in-depth technical report? Some kind of feedback that only a handful of users can provide?

Comment

Check this link: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/c...6_64/electron/
                    and this https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/2927.

Apparently Electron builds with gtk3 already.

Comment

Working...
                    X