Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.22.1 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.22.1 Released

For those on rolling-release distributions that tend to wait until the first point release before upgrading your desktop environment, GNOME 3.22.1 is now available as the first update since last month's GNOME 3.22 debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally it has landed on Archlinux today (I don't use the testing repositories). At first sight the changes are really minimal. A few applications have received some tiny improvements, but nothing really important. The default Wayland session works better than before, but on my Haswell laptop it is still a bit slower than the X.org experience. On a high resolution screen some menus behave weirdly (e.g. in Evolution they are not fully rendered).
    But for me the essential lacking feature is colour shifting (Redshift and F.Lux need XRandr)

Comment

I just went straight for Fedora 25 Beta just so I can jump to GNOME 3.22, as I did not want to wait for it to be released in Arch Linux.

I also went with Fedora since I've had problems with just a single website, rockthevote.com, not shown up properly in Chromium and Firefox in Arch Linux, yet it does render properly in Firefox when running Fedora but not Chromium.

And frankly, I've had problems with Fedora than in Arch Linux if I forget about rockthevote.com for just a minor annoyance. I've had problems getting the nvidia proprietary driver installed and getting along with my custom-compiled Linux kernel with PREEMPT_RT patch (fully preemptable kernel for musicians), so I'm thinking of going back to Arch Linux with Linux Liquorix kernel and nvidia-lqx since that does not pose a problem at all. And another thing why I need the proprietary driver is so I can use MythTV frontend for watching TV.

Another problem which I did not yet report to Fedora's bug tracker is the apparent flickering and that the text became blurred or doubled vertically or broken up or whatever it is...It happened during the installation and when running the GNOME desktop. Switching to GNOME on Xorg solved the problem.

Yes, Fedora 25 is not ready yet, but I cannot wait to run bleeding-edge software. It's the reason why I don't want to wait for GNOME 3.22.1 to come out in Arch Linux. Perhaps that's why Arch Linux seems to be in a less-than-bleeding-edge than usual.

At least Arch Linux did not cause a problem for me, but the advice of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" don't work well for me when I'm into the latest and the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        I just went straight for Fedora 25 Beta just so I can jump to GNOME 3.22, as I did not want to wait for it to be released in Arch Linux.

I also went with Fedora since I've had problems with just a single website, rockthevote.com, not shown up properly in Chromium and Firefox in Arch Linux, yet it does render properly in Firefox when running Fedora but not Chromium.

And frankly, I've had problems with Fedora than in Arch Linux if I forget about rockthevote.com for just a minor annoyance. I've had problems getting the nvidia proprietary driver installed and getting along with my custom-compiled Linux kernel with PREEMPT_RT patch (fully preemptable kernel for musicians), so I'm thinking of going back to Arch Linux with Linux Liquorix kernel and nvidia-lqx since that does not pose a problem at all. And another thing why I need the proprietary driver is so I can use MythTV frontend for watching TV.

Another problem which I did not yet report to Fedora's bug tracker is the apparent flickering and that the text became blurred or doubled vertically or broken up or whatever it is...It happened during the installation and when running the GNOME desktop. Switching to GNOME on Xorg solved the problem.

Yes, Fedora 25 is not ready yet, but I cannot wait to run bleeding-edge software. It's the reason why I don't want to wait for GNOME 3.22.1 to come out in Arch Linux. Perhaps that's why Arch Linux seems to be in a less-than-bleeding-edge than usual.

At least Arch Linux did not cause a problem for me, but the advice of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" don't work well for me when I'm into the latest and the greatest.
        I don't use Nvidia cards anymore, but it used to be as easy as:
        -Install rpmfusion free and nonfree
        -sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia
        -sudo reboot

You will need to install the 32bit nvidia libs too if you use 64bit and want to play 32bit games:

sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-*i686 or whatever it's called

There's also akmod-nvidia-304xx and akmod-nvidia-340xx if you have an older card

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post
          Finally it has landed on Archlinux today (I don't use the testing repositories). At first sight the changes are really minimal. A few applications have received some tiny improvements, but nothing really important. The default Wayland session works better than before, but on my Haswell laptop it is still a bit slower than the X.org experience. On a high resolution screen some menus behave weirdly (e.g. in Evolution they are not fully rendered).
          But for me the essential lacking feature is colour shifting (Redshift and F.Lux need XRandr)
          Indeed, this is legitimately the only issue blocking me from switching to wayland.

See gnome bug: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=741224

Comment

Mystro256 , thanks for your help, although as I've tried with custom kernel with RT-PREEMPT patch, it doesn't boot into GNOME desktop, something about can't log in, but I'm not sure what it was since I'm switching back to Arch Linux.

In my opinion, it seems Fedora wanted me to use open source drivers. *sigh* Well, I'm planning to switch over to AMD Radeon with AMDGPU. The only reason why I switched to Nvidia is Blender's support for CUDA and better performance-per-watt.

I currently have AMD A8-7600 API and GTX 960 4GB is a significant upgrade to Kaveri's graphics capabilities. Radeon RX 480 is probably what I might go for, although I might wait for 580 next year once I have the funds for a new graphics card.

And BTW, I'm not sure how to quote your post. I can do that when I can tell Chrome for Android to request desktop version of the forum, but in a mobile version, I don't see buttons below each post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I don't use Nvidia cards anymore, but it used to be as easy as:
              -Install rpmfusion free and nonfree
              -sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia
              -sudo reboot

You will need to install the 32bit nvidia libs too if you use 64bit and want to play 32bit games:

sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-*i686 or whatever it's called

There's also akmod-nvidia-304xx and akmod-nvidia-340xx if you have an older card
              For nVidia users, there is repository named negativo17 (a complementary for rpmfusion) allowing the installation of nVidia drivers via Gnome Software for Fedora 25+.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                For nVidia users, there is repository named negativo17 (a complementary for rpmfusion) allowing the installation of nVidia drivers via Gnome Software for Fedora 25+.
                Nice, I didn't know about this. Not particularly useful for me, but still pretty neat.

Comment

I did not know about it either.

However, I hit a snag concerning gdm (stupid autotype in my smartphone -- thought I meant "GSM"). After switching back to Arch, installed Nvidia (regular kernel, for now), and started gdm, I got a message saying i need to log out and try again; however, I didn't log in. I did not get prompted to sign in.

I suspect it might have been due to Wayland been switched on by default. Anyone know how to rectify the problem? Turns out it also happened in Fedora.

Update: My bad. I must have forgot to install xf86-video-nouveau and that is taken care of in Arch Linux. It's working fine in GNOME 3.22. And yes, I've completely switched over to Arch Linux. I'm feeling right at home now (shouldn't have distro-hopped to Fedora in the first place).
                  Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 12 October 2016, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Hey Michael, in the mobile version of the forum, the buttons appear/disappear in each post upon refresh of the web page. I'm running Chrome for Android 7.0.

Comment

Working...
                    X