It's Easy To Play With The RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver On Ubuntu 16.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Easy To Play With The RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver On Ubuntu 16.04

Phoronix: It's Easy To Play With The RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver On Ubuntu 16.04

Now that the RADV Radeon Vulkan driver is part of mainline Mesa, it's increasingly easy to experiment with this unofficial, open-source Vulkan driver on rolling-release distributions and through third-party package archives/repositories...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The Mesa Git code continues to be built against LLVM 3.0 SVN"

4.0 I guess..

Comment

Yet another reminder that I need to actually install a 4.9 kernel that has the SI/AMDGPU support activated. Oh to have my free time back.

Comment

What exactly needs to be done to get RADV working in 16.04?

I have installed the Padoka PPA and updated my system, mesa 13.1.0-devel is in use. Yet, I can't run any Vulkan title. I'm able to run good old opengl games. Are there only a specific set of cards that are supported by RADV at this time?

Comment

Michael mentioned he had been having problems with radv in the Padoka PPA recently, not sure if that is still the case.

My recollection is that the core developers are primarily testing on VI hardware, while other developers/users are testing on CI and SI.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Michael mentioned he had been having problems with radv in the Padoka PPA recently, not sure if that is still the case.

My recollection is that the core developers are primarily testing on VI hardware, while other developers/users are testing on CI and SI.
            Yes, been having problems with RADV Padoka PPA. There were new packages uploaded to the Padoka PPA archive yesterday, haven't tried it with those packages but will be doing so today after finishing up some other tests.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
              What exactly needs to be done to get RADV working in 16.04?

I have installed the Padoka PPA and updated my system, mesa 13.1.0-devel is in use. Yet, I can't run any Vulkan title. I'm able to run good old opengl games. Are there only a specific set of cards that are supported by RADV at this time?
              Also did you install vulkan-utils?
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't believe I did. How do I go about doing this?

I'm currently on AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 and have installed the Vulkan SDK 1.30 and this works as expected in Dota 2 Vulkan mode. Would love to get RADV working though.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I did not install vulkan-utils. I'm currently on AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 with the Vulkan SDK 1.0.30 installed and running Dota 2 in Vulkan works. I'll give Mesa another shot later with vulkan-utils installed. Anything else I need to do?

Comment

Just gave Mesa 13 another shot. Updated to the latest packages in Padoka, with vulkan-utils now installed and still unable to run any Vulkan title with it on Ubuntu 16.04.

Dota 2 returns "Failed to initialize Vulkan. Please make sure your driver and GPU support Vulkan.". Is there some setting I need to enable, or is it really just supposed to be install the Padoka PPA and RADV is ready to go?

Comment

Working...
                    X