Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Ubuntu GNOME 16.10, Wayland Session Not So Great

Phoronix: Trying Out Ubuntu GNOME 16.10, Wayland Session Not So Great

With today's Ubuntu 16.10 release one of the exciting spins we've been looking forward to is Ubuntu GNOME 16.10, which has an experimental Wayland session available but is not the default. I spent a few minutes trying out Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's still a hard dependency of X in the libGL. It's unlikely to be patched anytime soon, that means that OpenGL have to be used through xwayland, native wayland are limited to GLES or vulkan.

Comment

Except for the mouse cursor problem it doesn't sound like you actually had any problems as a user?

Comment

I hope there will be some updates to packages in Ubuntu that solves the Wayland-related issues.

Running the "GNOME on Wayland" session from LightDM doesn't work for me, but from the command line this works for me.
        Code:
        dbus-run-session gnome-shell --display-server --wayland

Originally posted by teldar View Post
        There's still a hard dependency of X in the libGL. It's unlikely to be patched anytime soon, that means that OpenGL have to be used through xwayland, native wayland are limited to GLES or vulkan.
        Is this going to be fixed?
        Is there any work in progress on this issue?

Comment

Who needs cursor there, that whole Gnome and Wayland thing is primarly designed for touchscreens

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Is this going to be fixed?
            Is there any work in progress on this issue?
            Well, nothing is stopping you from using OpenGL through EGL on Wayland. The trick is building libGL without X libs present, because it also happens to contain glX implementation, and is dictated to have one by Linux OpenGL ABI. As soon as libglvnd becomes reality, it should be solved (which is one of the reasons to introduce it, besides having multiple vendor libs on the system).

Comment

a little offtopic: i updated to gnome 3.22 on manjaro and everything blinked for example te seconds went crazy terminal text too
              does it happen to any of you?
              reverted to gnome 3.20 for now

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

Well, nothing is stopping you from using OpenGL through EGL on Wayland. The trick is building libGL without X libs present, because it also happens to contain glX implementation, and is dictated to have one by Linux OpenGL ABI. As soon as libglvnd becomes reality, it should be solved (which is one of the reasons to introduce it, besides having multiple vendor libs on the system).
                So how long is libglvnd along?
                How far is it from reality?
                Is it stable?
                Does any vendor use it?
                Does any distribution use it?

Comment

Maybe they wanted Wayland not to work on purpose to make Mir look a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                    Except for the mouse cursor problem it doesn't sound like you actually had any problems as a user?
                    I'd consider that his benchmarks based on SDL didn't work under neither XWayland or natively don't work to be a pretty serious problem as well. There are alot of applications that are based on SDL, especially games.

Comment

Working...
                    X