Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Fun Day In Mesa Git: RADV, NVC0, RadeonSI

Phoronix: Another Fun Day In Mesa Git: RADV, NVC0, RadeonSI

With the Mesa 13.0 feature freeze expected to happen before the weekend, it's been another exciting day in the Git development tree of landing last-minute features for next month's Mesa release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mesa 13 is shaping up quite nicely, though I've seen some not-yet-committed Clover patches hanging around the mailing list. Hope that lands in time for the branching.

Comment

I'd like to hear about a clarification and any exceptions for open-source drivers from Khronos as well. Thank you Michael.

Comment

@Michael

Thanks a lot! I hope all active developers from related MESA drivers could have direct contact about this issue.

I believe Vulkan and OpenGL standards must be managed to get the best adoption possible. I'm unable to understand why paying for membership and other fees are really needed. Could someone provide an explanation? I think DirectX and CUDA are very strong competitors, i considerany entry barrier is a big issue to catch adoption. This remembers me VHS vs BETA.

Comment

I built Mesa again from git last night using llvm 3.9. Also rebuilt drm and xf86-video-amdgpu from git master for good measure. Then I exported MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 and MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=450 variables so I could finally run Dying Light. Because missing OpenGL 4.4 support has supposedly been the reason the game won't run under Mesa all this time.

No difference. Still just renders a black screen after the progress bar. This is on a Fury X. Steam overlay (via Shift+Tab) shows up fine, but no picture for the actual game.

AFAIK, this is the only major title that doesn't work with Mesa right now. If the devs had time to solve it before the stable release, that would be amazing. I won't hold my breath though. Techland doesn't seem to care AFAICT.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Or your unrealistic dreams for Mesa
            Seeing Mesa along with the Gallium drivers running on Windows. Not for everyday use of course, just to see how our open source drivers hold up against the most optimized and popular closed drivers, running in the exact same environment.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Seeing Mesa along with the Gallium drivers running on Windows. Not for everyday use of course, just to see how our open source drivers hold up against the most optimized and popular closed drivers, running in the exact same environment.
              Have fun porting the entire kernel drivers to run on the Windows kernel. It's been tough even for the BSD guys that are copying over whole compatibility layers, so I have to imagine it would take a lot of work to get running there.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Another Fun Day In Mesa Git: RADV, NVC0, RadeonSI

With the Mesa 13.0 feature freeze expected to happen before the weekend, it's been another exciting day in the Git development tree of landing last-minute features for next month's Mesa release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Git-October-13
                Mostly, yes. Of course the driver quality isnt as high and random GPU crashes can happen or random bugs, but nouveau was able to run bioshock infinite a week after release without any problems except maybe performance, but it was playable in a decent GPU.

Just OpnGL threaded applications are a big issue currently.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                  Can nvc0 run all OpenGL games that radeonsi can?
                  I wanted to reply to you.... Message above

Comment

Does radeonsi support "GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts: specified vec4-slot component numbers" yet? The features.txt file still says "No" while also claiming that GLSL 4.40 is "DONE" for radeonsi.

Comment

Working...
                    X