Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25 Wayland Tests A Success, On Track For Stable

Phoronix: Fedora 25 Wayland Tests A Success, On Track For Stable

Fedora 25 has been on track for using Wayland by default and that was better firmed up this week. It's looking almost definitive next month's Fedora 25 release will be the first tier-one desktop Linux distribution using Wayland by default on supported systems in place of the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The importance of Wayland over X11 as default cannot be underestimated both from a security as well as a stability prospective !!!

Comment

if one still wants to use X , isnt there a way in the installer than one can choose X or Wayland so one can use the Nvidia Drivers still? or is Wayland Forced upon you?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
        if one still wants to use X , isnt there a way in the installer than one can choose X or Wayland so one can use the Nvidia Drivers still? or is Wayland Forced upon you?
        I didn't think you could default install the nvidia drivers under Fedora, you had to enable a copr or Fusion. And there is a session select on the logon screen, you usually default to which ever session you picked last so if you've pick Gnome on Xorg then it should default to that ever-after for that install.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          Probably it works exactly the same as F24 did - the only difference being that they've changed the default session in the login manager. F24 had the default session of "Gnome" with the option of "Gnome (Wayland)"... so I assume it's now something like "Gnome" vs "Gnome (X11)".

The decision to proceed with Wayland as the default has come late enough that they're unlikely to have changed anything that would make it difficult to revert to X11. Maybe in F26 or F27 that might change, but I think F25 will be nothing more than changing the default session.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Probably it works exactly the same as F24 did - the only difference being that they've changed the default session in the login manager. F24 had the default session of "Gnome" with the option of "Gnome (Wayland)"... so I assume it's now something like "Gnome" vs "Gnome (X11)".

The decision to proceed with Wayland as the default has come late enough that they're unlikely to have changed anything that would make it difficult to revert to X11. Maybe in F26 or F27 that might change, but I think F25 will be nothing more than changing the default session.
            i kinda thought there was a choice in the installer to either use X11 or Wayland, maybe im wrong, i aint installed it yet i think i'll wait for the final RC an install but yeah i think its to late for Fedora to revert it. i think they'll want more people using it to iron out the issues of wayland

Comment

Michael, I don't know how you define "tier-one distribution", but Arch Linux switched to Wayland as the default GNOME Session a while ago, too (probably around the time that Fedora started the tests), and that is already in "release" (I'm not using testing repos).

Comment

It's a nice news, but I'm not sure I'm ready to be beta tester of such huge impacting change on my workstation yet. Most probably skipping fedora 25 and waiting for the 26 in 6 months.

Comment

bugs https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...BIWVZ4JP6F43H/

Comment

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...BIWVZ4JP6F43H/

Comment

Working...
                    X