Dota 2 Radeon OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance With Mesa Git, Linux 4.9-rc1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dota 2 Radeon OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance With Mesa Git, Linux 4.9-rc1

Phoronix: Dota 2 Radeon OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance With Mesa Git, Linux 4.9-rc1

Now that the RADV Radeon Vulkan driver has landed in Mesa Git and Linux 4.9-rc1 is out, I figured it was time for some fresh benchmarks of the Radeon Vulkan driver against the RadeonSI Gallium3D OpenGL driver. Here is the first of that new data.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's very close to 60 fps... disable vsync not working?

Comment

Probably weird 2560x1600 resolution, not sure why Michael decide to pick up that now when screen is 4K... also RX 480 with GL seems a bit faster on 4K here

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
        Vulkan: Is somebody able to successfully run Dota 2 on R9 290/390 or on some other GCN1.1 GPU? The machine becomes unresponsive right after the title screen appears.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98279
        On my 290 (Linux 4.7.7, amdgpu, using mesa-git repo for Arch) first time I had "Failed to initialize Vulkan. Please make sure your driver and GPU support Vulkan." Fixed by removing vulkan-intel package.

Second time it locked up straight after the menu but mouse pointer still moved (couldn't restart X or change TTY in that case). With Linux 4.8.1 I could get into a game but lots of rendering glitches (mostly on the ground) and the whole system froze after 5 minutes, leaving a hard reset as only option.

Incidentally, I get a lot of system freezes with the 4.8 kernel just while doing nothing more intensive than using Firefox. 4.7 is fine.

Comment

Vulkan: Is somebody able to successfully run Dota 2 on R9 290/390 or on some other GCN1.1 GPU? The machine becomes unresponsive right after the title screen appears.

The same on GCN 1.0, verde.

Comment

hangs my hd 7970 too, but main menu works fine with lastest mesa, now hangs on select hero screen

Comment

Probably works the best on author card... goal of stability and scalability down from the Temash up to the Fiji will be ignorant and long

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

On my 290 (Linux 4.7.7, amdgpu, using mesa-git repo for Arch) first time I had "Failed to initialize Vulkan. Please make sure your driver and GPU support Vulkan." Fixed by removing vulkan-intel package.

Second time it locked up straight after the menu but mouse pointer still moved (couldn't restart X or change TTY in that case). With Linux 4.8.1 I could get into a game but lots of rendering glitches (mostly on the ground) and the whole system froze after 5 minutes, leaving a hard reset as only option.

Incidentally, I get a lot of system freezes with the 4.8 kernel just while doing nothing more intensive than using Firefox. 4.7 is fine.
                Are you just compiling your own amdgpu enabled 290 kernel or are you getting it from somewhere? I'd love to try some of these amdgpu features on my 290 but would rather not leave my PC on all night compiling the kernel for it.

Comment

I don't have a CIK gpu I don't think, one SI, two VI and one Polaris

Comment

Michael, do you know these screenshoted ads bring no income at all?

So it's just a gratuitous aggression that profits to no one. Hey, how you can ask people to subscribe if you display ads even to those who subscribe to not get them?

Remember that ads are aggressions, nothing justifies aggressions, but the worst ones are the gratuitous ones.

You failed to ensure your readers will not get ads if they subscribe.

Comment

Working...
                    X