Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Looking At Global Menu, Wayland & Mobile For 2017

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Looking At Global Menu, Wayland & Mobile For 2017

KDE Plasma developers talked this week about their plans for the new development cycle and what they want the desktop to look like moving into 2017 and further ahead into 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- More Breeze icon theme improvements planned, including a Breeze-themed Firefox.
    Damn you desktop environments, stop trying to make every software specific to your special snowflakey interpretation of what a desktop environment is.
    Just make applications work well on your system without special code.

Comment

Mobile part will mature over the next two years? Likely more, then finding hardware partners, therefore a phone from KDE is unlikely until 2020, future of open source phones seems bleak with FirefoxOS axed, SailfishOS barely surviving, Ubuntu Touch still work in progress with uncertain future and KDE phone years away.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
        Damn you desktop environments, stop trying to make every software specific to your special snowflakey interpretation of what a desktop environment is.
        Just make applications work well on your system without special code.
        Well, if an application is designed to work only on one desktop environment and use that DE specific paths to do things instead of an agnostic one, you have to write some "special code" for that application to show it how to do thing in your DE.

KDE puts a lot of effort in being compatible with other DE. Whereas GNOME won't even launch kde application in wayland because adding a simple environment variable is supposedly "special code".

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
          Mobile part will mature over the next two years? Likely more, then finding hardware partners, therefore a phone from KDE is unlikely until 2020, future of open source phones seems bleak with FirefoxOS axed, SailfishOS barely surviving, Ubuntu Touch still work in progress with uncertain future and KDE phone years away.
          time to discover cyanogen mod

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
            Whereas GNOME won't even launch kde application in wayland because adding a simple environment variable is supposedly "special code".
            of course it is. if kde app needs variable, it should export it itself. or maybe kde should leave last millenium behind and learn to use csd

Comment

Forget stuff like global menu, especially in this high res world. Would rather have window tabbing and more useful features.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma

I still don't know what CSD is better at than SSD except allowing easier-to-implement antialiased wobbly windows …
                 On the other hand, I still think that it is conceptually the window manager's job to implement window decoration, if such a thing is actually wanted (e. g. it isn't for fullscreen shells or tiled WMs).
                Convince me.
                It's better at allowing you to stuff random crap in the titlebar. The concept behind KDE's "DWD" idea is that CSD is to titlebars what XEmbed is to tray icons, so let's skip all of that "learning how foolish we were by first-hand experience" stuff and just move straight to an AppIndicator/KStatusNotifierItem-like solution.

Don’t know what DWDs are? Click the link below to find out! It seems about the right time to post some common questions and misconceptions about DWDs I’ve seen around the web, so here&#…

Comment

Poorly implemented CSD is the exact reason why I avoid GNOME like fire. Why waste so much vertical space...

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin
                    C'mon. KDE is not compatible with sanity when they decide CSD is too much of job. They prefer to pollute Wayland with decoration hand shake protocols instead of doing the real thing. Don't negotiate with terrorists, or laziness, or incompetence.
                    First, they admitted that DWD 1.0 was turning into the new X11 so 2.0 is going to be simple and more like libnotify's API. (ie. A simple "Server: I support the 'progress bar', 'pushbutton', and 'slider' extensions" handshake similar to how libnotify hosts may or may not support images, action buttons, image animation, etc.)

Since Martin posted his Wayland progress I’ve noticed an uptick in questions about CSD, so I figure now is a good time to upload this post I’ve had sitting around, as for the past month…

...and one of the whole points of DWD is that it's flexible. Things like KDE Connect will easily be able to remote any DWD widget set to your phone so you won't have to reinvent the network remote control for each app on your system.

Second, what did you expect? This is the desktop that, early on, gave us things GNOME struggled to match for a long time, like KIOSlaves and KParts ...and DCOP, the main precursor to D-Bus. (And don't tell me GNOME didn't struggle to match KIOSlaves. I remember quite clearly how buggy GnomeVFS was for many many years.)

Comment

Working...
                    X