Solus 1.2.1 Released With Budgie Desktop Updates, Ships RADV Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus 1.2.1 Released With Budgie Desktop Updates, Ships RADV Driver

Phoronix: Solus 1.2.1 Released With Budgie Desktop Updates, Ships RADV Driver

Version 1.2.1 of the promising Solus Linux distribution is now available and also premieres a MATE edition ISO to complement its original Budgie desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! Was expecting to have to wait a bit longer for 1.2.1 to release but the wait wasn't long at all. It's been a while since I've been excited about a distro update but Solus is the best desktop distro I've tried lately.

Comment

Wow, looks great!!! Anyone experience with Solus?!

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        I do, at least prior to this release. It's a rolling-release distro with pretty up-to-date software (moreso than Arch Linux in some regard; pretty sure Solus was the first to start shipping Firefox 49).

After hopping from Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, and even Arch Linux; Solus is easily my favorite distro and works great for my usage. I can't recommend it enough

Comment

Yes, I have been kicking it around for several months. It's always nice to have a product where the developers are actively involved -- a lot of bustle on their support sites, google+. Solus is very efficient and light weight. However, with its own package management system, the number of available apps is relatively small but growing. The budgie desktop is very nice and is being ported to a ubuntu base -- budgie-remix. There are both 16.04 and 16.10 versions.

Comment

So they actually include NVIDIA drivers out of the box? As in anyone with a NVIDIA card could use this and not have to install the drivers manually?

Comment

Originally posted by csnate View Post
              So they actually include NVIDIA drivers out of the box? As in anyone with a NVIDIA card could use this and not have to install the drivers manually?
              No, they're in the repos. The hardware drivers tool will determine the most appropriate match and install them for you (304/340/370 series available), and enable you to install the 32-bit driver at the same time if you wish, i.e. for wine + steam usage. The tool is literally as simple as launching it and hitting install.

Comment

Guest Thanks, sounds great! :-)

Comment

Been dual-booting Ubuntu from SSD and Solus from usb drive for awhile now, doing work in both.. IMO Solus is rock stable (ubuntu tends to throw error dialogs once in a while) and looks crispier. Now that LVM is supported by the installer I'm definately going to install it on my SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    As far as I remebmer their package manager cant remove package and it's unneeded dependencies. Given solus is rolling release there will be a lot unneeded dependencies hanging around. Here's thread on their forum - https://solus-project.com/forums/vie...hp?f=14&t=2050.

Comment

Working...
                    X