Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL 2.0.5 Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: SDL 2.0.5 Released With Many Improvements

SDL 2.0.5 is now available as the latest version of this library used by many cross-platform games and is part of the Steam Runtime. SDL 2.0.5 brings many new features and improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would hope to see this get backported to Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I would hope to see this get backported to Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak".
      Why backporting? Is this not a minor 2.0.x release which comes straight from upstream Debian? I see 16.04 already has SDL 2.0.4 from there.

Comment

Just a thought: How many games are actually using SDL 2.*? My impression was that most games were actually using the old 1.2 release.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          Just a thought: How many games are actually using SDL 2.*? My impression was that most games were actually using the old 1.2 release.
          Well, SDL 2 is only 3 years old. AAA titles typically take more than that to develop, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Well, Unity3D is using libSDL2, so start figuring from there.

Comment

While working on my esteam script for Gentoo, I was surprised by how many Steam games do use SDL 2 already. Of the 20 I have installed, these appear to use it:
              • A Boy and His Blob
              • Alien Isolation
              • Half-Life (yes, really!)
              • Half-Life 2
              • Hammerwatch
              • Pix the Cat
              • Portal
              • Rocket League
              • Tomb Raider (2013)
              Also worth mentioning is Trine 2, which uses SDL 1.3.

Comment

I have tons of games in my library that uses SDL2. I think they have done a really great job getting it widely accepted to where it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by mick3 View Post

Why backporting? Is this not a minor 2.0.x release which comes straight from upstream Debian? I see 16.04 already has SDL 2.0.4 from there.
                  2.0.5 includes new features, so they are not using "semantic versioning". When lots of software dynamically links to it, such upgrades have to be made with caution.

Comment

Stardew Valley

Comment

Working...
                    X