Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus Linux Making Performance Gains With Its BLAS Configuration

Phoronix: Solus Linux Making Performance Gains With Its BLAS Configuration

Those making use of the promising Solus Linux distribution will soon find their BLAS-based workloads are faster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where can we find configuration changes?
    So we can try them out on our current system, too...

Comment

Is this reference BLAS, or OpenBLAS?

Comment

What is exactly BLAS?

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
          What is exactly BLAS?

Comment

Does this fix affect only Solus or every other distros?

Comment

I may have to take a serious look at this distro. I'm not sure how it escaped me. I've been pretty unsatisfied with the Linux desktop experience ever since both GNOME and Canonical completely lost their minds.

Though I was interested in moving to ZFS when updating to 16.04 so maybe I'll stick with Ubuntu.

It might be a fun project to contribute to. I've always wanted to do that.

Comment

an openblas vs mkl vs ublas vs vanilla would be a nice article.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I may have to take a serious look at this distro. I'm not sure how it escaped me. I've been pretty unsatisfied with the Linux desktop experience ever since both GNOME and Canonical completely lost their minds.
                  The handful of people behind this distro have done what Linux Mint has been trying to do for years, with far more efficiency, thanks to GNOME. They build on top of the underlying tech (which they let the GNOME devs sort out), focusing on the UI and, as demonstrated by this article, performance. They don't create extra work for themselves by forking everything under the desktop sun (Mint) or duplicating work done by other projects just to say, "I have mine as well" (Ubuntu).

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroast View Post
                    The handful of people behind this distro have done what Linux Mint has been trying to do for years, with far more efficiency, thanks to GNOME. They build on top of the underlying tech (which they let the GNOME devs sort out), focusing on the UI and, as demonstrated by this article, performance. They don't create extra work for themselves by forking everything under the desktop sun (Mint) or duplicating work done by other projects just to say, "I have mine as well" (Ubuntu).
                    Hopefully it's not as bad as GNOME then. Otherwise, what's the point?

Comment

Working...
                    X