Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crucial MX300: Good Linux Performance, 525GB SSD For $120

Phoronix: Crucial MX300: Good Linux Performance, 525GB SSD For $120

This week I was shopping for a solid state drive to replace a hard drive on one of my backup/archival systems and ended up settling for the Crucial MX300 in getting 525GB of storage for just $120 USD. Here are some benchmarks of the Crucial CT525MX300SSD1 compared to some other SSDs on Linux for those curious.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

$158/145€ for real here. I hate these advertisements excluding taxes just to sound like a better offer. The SSD itself looks nice though.

Comment

Is there a way to measure power consumption of the SSD's? I only got 2 weeks ago my first ever SSD for a workstation and was actually surprised that one still needs to manually enable TRIM service (Fedora 24), and firmware update only possible with a windows executable (got a sk hynix SL308)... For me that feels like SSD's are still not a 'no brainer usage' in Linux in the sense of connect, install and go...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        $158/145€ for real here. I hate these advertisements excluding taxes just to sound like a better offer. The SSD itself looks nice though.
        $119.99 with free shipping direct from the source: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct525mx300ssd1

I don't know what your issue is. If you have issues with paying taxes, move to a locality like mine that doesn't have a sales tax. Seems like a pretty silly complaint.

Comment

At first I was going to post that "525 GB" must be a typo or something but... I checked the Crucial site and that's accurate.
          Interesting size choice, but it looks like a decent and inexpensive drive.

Comment

Micron 3D TLC

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Here in Italy it comes 121€ for the SATA version and 137€ for the M.2 version.

Comment

Originally posted by hugo8621 View Post
                Is there a way to measure power consumption of the SSD's? I only got 2 weeks ago my first ever SSD for a workstation and was actually surprised that one still needs to manually enable TRIM service (Fedora 24), and firmware update only possible with a windows executable (got a sk hynix SL308)... For me that feels like SSD's are still not a 'no brainer usage' in Linux in the sense of connect, install and go...
                Fedora doesn't enable TRIM by default on SSD's because some older models don't support it, or some firmware versions of recent models were bugged and were corrupting data. Anyway it's only a matter to issue "systemctl enable fstrim.timer" once.
                About firmware update, it really depends on the brand. Crucial provides a bootable ISO, so do Samsung and Intel I think. Here's hope that all producers will move to a standard UEFI Capsule update method.

Comment

It's weird to me that the 950 pro is mostly dominant except for SQLite, where it's a clear loser. Does anyone have an explanation?

Comment

Why is the intel/micron 3D nand such an underperformer? Is it because they went with floating gate instead of charge trap, or is it a controller issue?

It's pretty disappointing. I was really hoping they'd come out with something to take on Samsung and bring prices down.

Comment

Working...
                    X