Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.0.32 Released

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.0.32 Released

For Vulkan developers concerned about the latest documentation changes for this graphics API, the latest Vulkan 1.0 point release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those living on the edge it'll show up soon: https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home#linux

Comment

is there any game that's using it?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
        Are you reading any of the articles on Phoronix? Have you tried googling it?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Are you reading any of the articles on Phoronix? Have you tried googling it?
          It was mostly idle thought because reading the article I remembered suddenly how few games ever made use of Mantle.. And of the 2 I play, all play better using DirectX.

Comment

It was mostly idle thought because reading the article I remembered suddenly how few games ever made use of Mantle.. And of the 2 I play, all play better using DirectX.
            DirectX12? I think you're on the wrong site.

Comment

Talos, Dota and some mods/engine re-implementations of older games. Windows has a bit more, like DOOM being the most well-known.

Comment

Why?
                There is sub-forum for "other" OSes like Windows so you cannot claim that talking about DirectX here in Phoronix is somehow inherently "wrong".

For the record, both games are using DirectX11 (BF4 and BFH) and have been out for multiple years. They both do work with a Mantle API but performance/stability feels bit better using DirectX.

Good to know.

Comment

Why ? Just because Phoenix is pro open-source doesn't means he can't affirm that statement : Mantle games indeed ran equal if not slower than DirectX.

Concerning Vulkan, as of today, the only game truly making the most from Vulkan is the latest Doom.

Epic games affirms that Unreal Engine does support Vulkan, but, let face it , you don't really benefit from it as their implementation is not good enough at this moment.

Unity is on their way to do something similar.

The project is saw the best performance boost from using Vulkan is the emulator Dolphin.

Comment

Mantle is to be considered a test implementation.
                    In order for a game to take real advantage of a "low-level" API, it needs to be designed for this API from the ground up, not slapped on top with an abstraction layer. That's why the interesting Direct3D 12 and Vulkan games will be the ones only supporting one API.

Comment

Working...
                    X