Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org To Begin Accepting Donations Again

Phoronix: X.Org To Begin Accepting Donations Again

The X.Org merger with the SPI is almost complete and the X.Org Foundation is soon going to begin accepting donations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

with mir and wayland on the horizon and x.org being the mess that is, why would they be pushing for donations? Won't x.org be deprecated in the coming years?

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post
      with mir and wayland on the horizon and x.org being the mess that is, why would they be pushing for donations? Won't x.org be deprecated in the coming years?
      The X.Org Foundation still stewards over Wayland/Mesa and the XDC conference is still relevant to them, etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        The X.Org Foundation still stewards over Wayland/Mesa and the XDC conference is still relevant to them, etc.
        No offense, but I just don't understand why people still - after countless articles by Michael - can't tell the difference between X.org (the organization) and Xorg-server (the software). Especially when it comes to an article that specifically mentions the organizations/foundations.

Comment

They need to pay the funeral expensives.

Comment

I consider they should have taken the opportunity to rename themselves. They should reflect a non-profit related to open source graphics and standarization, not have the name a legacy and planned dying project.

This is quite confusing...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              I consider they should have taken the opportunity to rename themselves. They should reflect a non-profit related to open source graphics and standarization, not have the name a legacy and planned dying project.

Is there domain and legal situation resolved? From what I heard, it was extended, but not resolved. If so, you are right, they should all quit Xorg, found a new non-profit, one with a legal situation that's solid and isn't dependent to the whims of a misanthrope. I won't name him, but we all know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Frankly, coming from the old XFree days, I am very satisfied with the current status of xorg-server. Sure Wayland is good but I would like to have the option to stay on xorg-server for at least another five years or so. Everyone has their use cases and needs.
                It won't hurt anyone to keep options open, nor does it affect application performance.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

You mean the khronos group?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    No offense, but I just don't understand why people still - after countless articles by Michael - can't tell the difference between X.org (the organization) and Xorg-server (the software). Especially when it comes to an article that specifically mentions the organizations/foundations.
                    People is stupid, unless they rename themselves OR Xorg becomes really dead and buried (given current trends should happen in the next two decades or so), people will still make this mistake.

Comment

Working...
                    X