Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's HSAIL Front-End For GCC Might Finally Be Close For Merging

Phoronix: AMD's HSAIL Front-End For GCC Might Finally Be Close For Merging

There is finally an update on the proposed HSAIL front-end for GCC for supporting the BRIG binary form of the Heterogeneous System Architecture Intermediate Language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't quite understand. How does this affect GCC users exactly? This is an HSAIL front-end, which is also mentioned in the follow-up mail list entry, that it is a bit unusual to have a intermediate front-end. So what typical use cases might apply here? Create HSAIL from whatever language/API with whatever tool and convert it to PTX with GCC? (AFAIK GCC does have a PTX back-end which it uses for OpenMP 4.0 and OpenACC 1.0) Or is this just the first step of something else and it's current state is pretty much a demo? Why would I choose GCC as an HSAIL finalizer instead of LLVM? I did not quite grasp the aim of the project.

Comment

You wouldn't convert HSAIL to PTX, you would generate HW ISA directly AFAIK, either CPU or GPU (or DSP etc..).
      Test signature

Comment

Working...
      X