Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luncher: Enlightenment Has A New Launcher

Phoronix: Luncher: Enlightenment Has A New Launcher

The Enlightenment project has introduced a new launcher/taskbar/iconify manager called Luncher...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I never used Enlightenment, think should give it a try. Can anyone highlight its most relevant pros and cons?

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
      I never used Enlightenment, think should give it a try. Can anyone highlight its most relevant pros and cons?
      The EFL Toolkit is blistering fast even with tons of eye candy. It probably has the coolest looking terminal imho. The downside is that there isn't a huge selection of apps that are native EFL so you'll mostly use apps that are GTK/Qt and it doesn't look that consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

The start menu is horrible, a very big and deep tree. Often single setting has it is own dialog, no integration at all. Not at all configurable desktop when you compare to Xfce.It is not much lighter or at all than Xfce, so nothing good to say.
        lolwut?

E not configurable. You are on drugs. Difficult to find the settings yes. As for configuration options they are quite endless.

Mateus Felipe
        Pros: Logical and not designed by imbeciles like gnome, lightweight, helpfull community, wayland ready(ish).

Cons: Misses a few things here and there so depending on the way you use your computer you might not like it.

Comment

I've been trying to switch to enlightenment 17 from the first release
          Extremely fast even though it has bunch of animations, it works amazing even on slower computer
          However that is also a con, every theme has too many bells and whistles, you don't want EVERY single action to be animated, everything there has some animation, probably because it can
          There really isn't single theme that looks and feels good, they all look like a showcase of capabilities, none of them feel natural
          Somebody should create a modern/flat looking theme and enlightenment would suddenly became extremely popular
          Default theme is dark with blue color, same as website https://www.enlightenment.org
          This looks good on something like macbook pro, on generic monitor this is unusable
          Any designer knows you can't just make up colors and create a theme
          Everything can be configured, but it can be complicated to find what is where
          You will be using a lot of third party apps (Qt/Gtk) so not really sure for the benefit in the end, you can use LXDE/LXQT or even OpenBox, IceWM, all the same if you are after something lightweight

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

lolwut?
            This dude just trash talks everything not related to his username (debian or xfce), so don't bother arguing with him it's pointless.

Comment

Biggest downside to E is that it's ugly as fuck. It's design is dated (glossy rather than flat), but even for a glossy system it's not good looking. Basic ui design and layout is bad, and it has pointless animation for no reason. Granted I'm a graphic designer so these things bother me, but I'd wager that the reason enlightenment isn't popular is because people find it ugly. Although what am I saying, people find 'compiz' and its effects as nice. . . . Say what you want about gnome for bad technical reasons, they can make something that looks stunning. (I'm an i3 user)

Comment

Lacks themes that don't look like 90' or crappy embedded device, only good ones are confined to a outdated fork called Moksha Desktop http://www.bodhilinux.com/moksha-desktop/ found in Bodhi Linux distro.

Theming community died down with E17 it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Since 2007 and 2009 in the forum and can not handle technical opinion when some one asks. Also Internet Etiquette is uknown.
                  (looking at his Join Date... it's 2015... hmmmm.... some alarm is ringing)

Comment

Originally posted by Jedipottsy View Post
                    Biggest downside to E is that it's ugly as fuck. It's design is dated (glossy rather than flat), but even for a glossy system it's not good looking. Basic ui design and layout is bad, and it has pointless animation for no reason. Granted I'm a graphic designer so these things bother me, but I'd wager that the reason enlightenment isn't popular is because people find it ugly. Although what am I saying, people find 'compiz' and its effects as nice. . . . Say what you want about gnome for bad technical reasons, they can make something that looks stunning. (I'm an i3 user)
                    The flat trend that is going around lately is down right stupid. While skeuomorphism was even stupider going flat isn't the solution. And i'd hate to see E going through that route.

Comment

Working...
                    X