Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla's Solar Roof Looks Great, Would Be Excellent For All Our Open-Source Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla's Solar Roof Looks Great, Would Be Excellent For All Our Open-Source Benchmarking

Phoronix: Tesla's Solar Roof Looks Great, Would Be Excellent For All Our Open-Source Benchmarking

Not directly Linux related, but if you haven't heard about the Tesla Solar Roof since Elon Musk announced it on Friday night, I'd recommend you check it out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lol - he won't that's the only way for Tesla to truly make money right now

Agreed, THAT would be really interesting + raising efficiency

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
      Lol - he won't that's the only way for Tesla to truly make money right now

Agreed, THAT would be really interesting + raising efficiency
      Yeah he probably needs to keep up the rhetoric to get gov.grants and tax incentives. People would buy his technologies anyway though if they are innovative.

Either there is a complicated wiring setup behind those tiles installed, or there's a unique method to conjoin them in a parallel configuration to retain the voltage level.

Comment

He admitted to a reporter that it's not going to be affordable enough to just buy at any time. It will only make any sense at all if you already have to replace your roof for some reason.

Comment

The solar looks great, perfect for people that hate the panel look and we can do better for roof longevity. It really is going to be all about price at this point, solar really is about quick return on investment and overall savings. My guess is they are going to be high priced (solar savings + (2) 20 year roofs) then the average consumer will pay upfront. I hope I am wrong. The battery is not a bad deal if you think that some of us have generators that are not cheap, need yearly maintenance and some might be able to go off grid or maybe never on grid for new installations. I agree the battery is the weakest for most value wise though.

Comment

There are already similar products on the market for years - and they all have the same problems:
            - lower efficiency than usual solar cell constructions
            - much higher initial costs (a.o. connection between those tiles is difficult)
            - getting fairly warm > extra costs to deal with this
            - replacement is rather difficult

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff
              Adaptive thinking. I wonder how they will connect each tile as that would be the innovation, no so much integrating a cell into a glass tile.
              Ummm, by exposing metallic contacts underneath? I'm not sure why you think it would be an innovation.

I don't mind Elon, but he needs to drop the Global Warming Fraud claims.
              Trump supporter detected.

People should also consider that the Tesla power banks, including Bosch's solutions, will only be sold is nations with enough sun light[/QUOTE]According to quite a few calcs done around teh internets and by companies, their power banks repay themselves even if just charging at night and discharging at day, competing with solar panels.

Also consider the Earth is going into a Grand Solar Minimum too which means more cloud cover and extreme cold.
              I'm not sure how a Solar minimum would mean more cloud cover, and according to estimates https://watchers.news/2015/06/26/uk-...lobal-warming/ the temps are going to be lowered by like 1 Celsius, not justifying statements of "extreme cold".

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                He admitted to a reporter that it's not going to be affordable enough to just buy at any time. It will only make any sense at all if you already have to replace your roof for some reason.
                Well, roofs aren't usually "affordable to just buy any time" either, if he keeps similar pricing to a new roof it would be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
                  There are already similar products on the market for years - and they all have the same problems:
                  - lower efficiency than usual solar cell constructions
                  - much higher initial costs (a.o. connection between those tiles is difficult)
                  - getting fairly warm > extra costs to deal with this
                  - replacement is rather difficult
                  With the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I'm going to state that the electric car market was in a similar sorry state, with most car manufacturers that are still trying hard to make horribly ugly, low-performance or otherwise unsellable electric cars, the Elon came with a car that looks like a sports car, and performs like a good sports car (and costs like a sports car).

I really hope he can apply the same pixie dust here.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    I'm not sure how a Solar minimum would mean more cloud cover, and according to estimates https://watchers.news/2015/06/26/uk-...lobal-warming/ the temps are going to be lowered by like 1 Celsius, not justifying statements of "extreme cold".
                    It will just be a way for deniers to explain for the next decade that "global warming stopped in 2016 so we're cool".

Comment

Working...
                    X