No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell 3.23.1 Adds The Discrete GPU Launch Option, Other UI Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell 3.23.1 Adds The Discrete GPU Launch Option, Other UI Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME Shell 3.23.1 Adds The Discrete GPU Launch Option, Other UI Improvements

Trailing this weekend's release of GNOME 3.23.1 is the first development update for the GNOME Shell in the road to GNOME 3.24...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will we ever get corner tiling?

Comment

If steam is already open without DRI_PRIME=1 being set and a steam game is launched using this new feature, will the games actually use the PRIME override?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Will we ever get corner tiling?
        There a fantastic extension (well, two actually, bit one is much better than the other---shell shape and shelltile, iirc).
        It's too bad about Jasper since he had some patches that enabled much more versatile window management for mutter.
        I'm honestly kind of at the point where I think it would be best for GNOME to put mutter/gnome shell into maintenance and write a new DE that has a separation of concerns and relies on libweston-desktop for the shell and a separate process that implements the compositor and wm. This should provide more insulation from the, as yet, unsolved problem of relatively frequent Wayland crashes taking down the entire gui while still reaping the benefits of a Wayland arch.
        People have floated the idea of a protocol that would save application state (and enlightenment actually implemented something similar) but I've not seen much interest in the issue from the main Wayland folks.
        Last edited by liam; 31 October 2016, 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
        X