Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeDOS 1.2 RC1 Released

Phoronix: FreeDOS 1.2 RC1 Released

For fans of FreeDOS as an alternative to MS-DOS, the 1.2 Release Candidate is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No benchmarks? Meh.

Comment

Benchmarks would actually be pretty interestimg 8-D

How much work would be required to port evrn simple testing tools to it thoigh?
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by michal
        IIRC in dos there is no such thing as libc equivalent, so if you don't have borland c, you will have to do everything from scratch or you can use masm or tasm - anyway - good luck
        Any linker/compiler with DOS as target already includes anything that is necessary, as that's how it works. What DOS doesn't have is processes/tasks/scheduling and sane memory management. You can do some co-operative multitasking if you use the graphical shell with mainloop on top of DOS, I think it was called windows?
        Just kidding. There is not multitasking/processing on DOS. Anything that tries to convince you otherwise, usually loads up a virtual machine/container thing and starts it's own scheduler.
        DOS has been such a nice environment, that I almost wanted to quit my job and become a full time shelf-stacker. No matter how good your programs were, there was always an admin that could not do his work so you end up fixing his network and dos installations.
        Really, systems with 340k free RAM for your software... And on top of that outdated novell drivers with buggy oppertunistic locking bugs.
        And then came windows NT, and the problem remained. Nobody could manage them. Microsoft didn't care about bug reports.
        I've been a full-time linux guy eversince. And it is funny to see that it's still a mess outside my world.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80
          according to the roadmap: (last updated 2015)
          FreeDOS "1.2" will be an update/refresh from FreeDOS 1.1, and will feature an updated, simplified install process. There are no major changes planned. A few packages may be added to the distribution if they are necessary for hardware or software support. Otherwise, the software list remains frozen for FreeDOS 1.2.
          You probably need only one floppy disk to install this one :P
          On a more serious note, debianxfce must be drooling all over this. After all, it's a no-bloat, stable OS, what more can you ask?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Ubuntu user is having a bad day at work again when insulting.again. Get a better life and start using Debian testing Xfce.
            So, what, it's insulting when I recommend a stable, no bloat OS, but it isn't when you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              Benchmarks would actually be pretty interestimg 8-D

How much work would be required to port evrn simple testing tools to it thoigh?
              Why would you want to port any tools when there are already quite a few freeware ones available for DOS? 3DBench, Landmark System Speed Test, Speedsys, PC Player 3D Benchmark to name just a few. And, you can also use games like Doom and Quake that have built-in benchmarking capabilities. Since FreeDOS is supposed to be compatible with MS-DOS these should work fine.

Comment

Since 2009 in the forum and ubuntu user does not know internet rules. So sad but true, ubuntu makes you stupid.
                There's no rule that says only you know the truth and facts. If you can post yours, I can post mine.

Comment

Since 2009 in the forum and ubuntu user does not know internet rules. So sad but true, ubuntu makes you stupid.
                  ^
                  |
                  (talks about 2009.... is registered since 2015)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    ^
                    |
                    (talks about 2009.... is registered since 2015)
                    He was saying that I was registered since 2009 and still haven't figured out the rules. Don't pay much attention to it, we know he doesn't have anything valuable to say

Comment

Working...
                    X