Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25 Is Vetting Their Switchable Graphics Support This Week

Phoronix: Fedora 25 Is Vetting Their Switchable Graphics Support This Week

For those with a NVIDIA Optimus laptop or other dual-GPU system, Fedora QA has organized a test day this week for testing the switchable graphics support for Fedora 25 that will be shipping later this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For folk using Switchable graphics on Intel/AMDGPU they might want to take a look at: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/122370.html and https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/122372.html

Finally tear free PRIME

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Here we go again. Fedora and Gnome Do all the hard work on upstreams and all the tedious QA on Fedora.

So in few months the hipsterz can pick up the upstream pieces and look cool on their niche distros with a blazing wheels lesser desktop. Just like it happened on the Wayland migration.
      Jeez, try to be more pretentious.

If this is how it actually worked (i'm skeptical), I don't see why it would be a bad thing. If the "hipsterzOS" is able to get users by polishing up Fedora for a particular set of users, that's Free Software working as it's supposed to.

As for the substance of the piece, will this GPU switching UI work equally well when the binary Nvidia driver eventually supports Wayland? I don't have much need for switchable graphics using nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Here we go again. Fedora and Gnome Do all the hard work on upstreams and all the tedious QA on Fedora.

So in few months the hipsterz can pick up the upstream pieces and look cool on their niche distros with a blazing wheels lesser desktop. Just like it happened on the Wayland migration.
        Right. So how's your testing coming along?

Comment

Originally posted by thebishop View Post
          As for the substance of the piece, will this GPU switching UI work equally well when the binary Nvidia driver eventually supports Wayland? I don't have much need for switchable graphics using nouveau.
          The ball is on Nvidia to enable Wayland support on their proprietary binary driver

Comment

Will this have any bearing on me ol Ivy Bridge i7 + Radeon 7670, or am I being screwed out?

Because I'm tired of having to dual-boot to Windows for heavy 3D shit and don't feel like buying a new laptop just yet when this one still works fine (in Windows at least....when it works).
            Hi

Comment

Griffin I fail to see what recompiling Gentoo has to do with this, as you can see from the links I posted from above I've been helping with testing this PRIME work, if you do some searches in bugs.freedesktop.org you can see I've reported many bugs over the years

Comment

@Griffin,

One can only hope you'll somehow stop needlessly spamming each and eve
                ry Fedora-related article with mindless drival about other distributions. It adds nothing and only makes Fedora look bad.
                ... And I'm saying it as a (very) long time Fedora user (since FC2) and a (small) Fedora contributor.

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                X