Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25 Won't Ship With Mesa 13 Or Vulkan Drivers

Phoronix: Fedora 25 Won't Ship With Mesa 13 Or Vulkan Drivers

While Fedora 25 is shaping up to be an excellent release, there are two separate but related disappointments: it won't be shipping this month with Mesa 13.0 drivers and also it's not enabling any Vulkan support out-of-the-box...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will be great to have an os utility that switch between different versions of the graphics stack.

Comment

They'll release them as updates as soon as they're officially stable. It's Fedora after all.

Comment

It's too early to be useful, next mesa release cycle IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          They'll release them as updates as soon as they're officially stable. It's Fedora after all.
          The Fedora I used to know had no qualms about bundling pre-release and RC software as core system packages. This is quite the huge departure.

Comment

Too late in the release cycle obviously, maybe we'll see it as an update. I'm more disappointed that it won't ship with llvm 3.9, that means that radeonsi is still stuck at OpenGL 4.1

Comment

On one hand I really like how you can use everything bleeding edge optionally in Linux. On the other hand I feel like Wayland/Vulkan will always be perpetually in beta. I guess that is about the same where my platform is, stuck in opengl 4.1 and lacking the latest games. :\

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
                On one hand I really like how you can use everything bleeding edge optionally in Linux. On the other hand I feel like Wayland/Vulkan will always be perpetually in beta. I guess that is about the same where my platform is, stuck in opengl 4.1 and lacking the latest games. :\
                Vulkan and Wayland are 2 big win in Linux.
                Vulkan is very straightforward api to implement, look at the RAVD implementation how fast was to implement and will be 100% compliant.
                I can't say the same for the monster api called OpenGL.
                Wayland it's like win the lottery. X is so bad for today graphics stacks and Wayland is very modern and do exactly one thing and it's do it well, will be a huge desktop experience improvement.

Comment

The main problème for me is llvm 3.9. i don't know when fedora will include it, but for now I got to use the copr rep to be able to play alien: isolation

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    The Fedora I used to know had no qualms about bundling pre-release and RC software as core system packages. This is quite the huge departure.
                    Even that does not mean that Fedora skips QA. Mesa 13 has already been imported into Rawhide. There it gets tested first. When those tests succeed, an update for F25 will be proposed at some point and if that's fine, it'll be pushed as update.

And even if someone successfully made the case that pre-release version of some software makes sense, the same QA process is applied.

Comment

Working...
                    X