Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedded Linux + OpenIoT 2016 Conference Videos Now Available

Phoronix: Embedded Linux + OpenIoT 2016 Conference Videos Now Available

For those interested in embedded Linux or Internet of Things (IoT) topics, all of the videos from this year's Embedded Linux Conference 2016 and OpenIOT Summit are now online...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I will never ever say or accept the term "internet of things" as valid.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
      Why? Internet is going to be ruled pretty soon by botnets made of huge swarms of network-capable embedded devices that get pwned the second they are turned on the first time.
      Not even in XP times they could dream to control so much bots, so much easily.

So the name is valid, imho. The internet will be ruled by these things.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
        We need major scale failures at every level. Javascript code in the web, IoT in embedded, RPi in hacker boards..

Comment

It is so horrible when you feel (you know that you are) like a prophet that foresees catastrophes and more catastrophes, you preach and try to reach people (and you definitely left that tinfoil hat at home for preaching, of course, not to confuse people) but nothing really changes.
          People don't listen or the few that wake up don't make up for the vast numbers some idiots in decider-positions bring down crashing with their lets-make-money-from-shit ideas. Or their seemingly fancy stuff but cheaply executed. Well, the rest is done by people not willing to pay for quality - or simply not having the money for it.
          It's strange, you are not allowed to drive a car that is not at a good safety level (at least in my country) - but this insanely insecure-by-design-stuff (or hackable cars for that matter) aren't taken "off the streets".

This super-DDOS was so foreseeable. So much foreseeable. But still we have to put fricken lightbulbs with WLAN on the market (firmware never updated, weak default passwords). Or twittering toilets so we can nicely grab even the most private data from households. And attach power plants to the WWW - only essential is that we can drive the plant at home by wiping gestures from a smartphone. (Oh, and by the way it saves money cause you don't have to support a little house on the plant side for the technician on each of the 3 sites, now there is only 1 technician doing all the things from his own home that he has to pay for himself. Brave new world.)

I hate the IoT / "industry 4.0"!

Should we call IoT maybe Skynet next?
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Sorry, I thing there was a typo in the article. It is supposed to be called "The Internet of Shit".

Comment

Working...
            X