Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK4 Gets Frame-By-Frame Record/Replay Support

Phoronix: GTK4 Gets Frame-By-Frame Record/Replay Support

A feature now possible for GTK+ 4 thanks to the recent merging of the GTK Scene Kit (GSK) is frame-by-frame recording and replaying...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But is this GTK Scene Kit light, or something that uses much system resources and require a powerful machine?

Comment

I'd like to know why in a desktop GUI toolkit they are adding something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        I'd like to know why in a desktop GUI toolkit they are adding something like this.
        Did you have any trouble accessing the blog post?

"This is pretty nifty, and will hopefully be very useful in improving the GSK integration in GTK+, as well as helpful for debugging rendering problems in applications."

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

"This is pretty nifty, and will hopefully be very useful in improving the GSK integration in GTK+, as well as helpful for debugging rendering problems in applications."
          One would assume applications from Blender, Pitivi, Gnome MPV, etc., could really benefit from this code.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            But is this GTK Scene Kit light, or something that uses much system resources and require a powerful machine?
            I'd also like to know that.

All I've been able to find so far is that both GSK and QML are designed so that rendering can be offloaded to the GPU, but it's much harder to find hard numbers on how the CPU load will actually be affected in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'd also like to know that.

All I've been able to find so far is that both GSK and QML are designed so that rendering can be offloaded to the GPU, but it's much harder to find hard numbers on how the CPU load will actually be affected in the end.
              GSK is still very early and the optimizations have yet to come so nearer release surely some benchmarks can be done.

Comment

I just started using screen recording in Gnome - Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R

It's very convenient. Love it.

Comment

then when xfce 4.14 (gtk3) will be ready, they should start works for gtk4 porting??

Comment

Let's see.

"This is pretty nifty,
                    Developer saying his own work is nifty. Good to know.

and will hopefully be very useful in improving the GSK integration in GTK+,
                    Merging GSK in GTK+ is very useful in integrating GSK and GTK+. He's not sure, though, he's "hopeful" this will be the case.

as well as helpful for debugging rendering problems in applications."
                    And it's a good for diagnosing probably 1% of the bugs. This definitely belongs into a generic framework.

Makes you wonder how have we lived without it so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X