Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus 1.2 Alpha Released With Several Quality Improvements

Phoronix: Opus 1.2 Alpha Released With Several Quality Improvements

Libopus 1.2 is now in alpha, the library for the Opus royalty-free audio codec that's designed for interactive speed and music on the web while being derived from Skype SILC and Xiph CELT technologies...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

derived from Skype SILK*

Comment

Opus is fantastic. I wish more projects would start migrating all other lossy audio codecs to default to Opus instead (keeping MP3 around for compatibility during transition).

Also, mobile apps should really have started using this by now. I would be really happy if Signal added Opus to improve the voice quality.

Comment

Applause to Xiph/Skype for Opus, and all other contributors to royalty-free codecs!

Royalty-free codecs are essential for free software, but they have to be so good that the whole world is willing to switch, because we're all connected.

Once upon a time, you were supposed to watch youtube using a combination of youtube-dl and mplayer (or equivalent). That's an example of non-working browser playback due to proprietary formats (that are unimplementable in free software). Now, everyone is getting VP9/Opus playback right in the browser. I don't get why FSF didn't formally celebrate that!

Comment

Working...
        X